Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AWD Legacy transmission (slipping & stiff) baffled

Guys,

I have a 1990 AWD wagon that I recently bought and put a new engine in I pulled the car home (about 10 miles) and noticed no problems while towing. I have the car finished and ready to roll but the transmission is giving me problems. It has all sorts of problems (listed here)

1. It acts like it slipping sometimes when I go in gear (fwd & reverse), it feels stiff most of the time like I have a trailer on it or that it's half way in gear affecting the line pressure.

2. When put in park on a slope it lunges back when the car is turn off as if it were in "drive", meaning it is engages the parking stop gear but doesn't let go of the transmission like it does in neutral.

3. When the car is turned off it is very hard to push, as if it dragging the clutch pack in the tranny. I have notice sometimes it's not as bad as others.

4. It has a lot of bind when turning the wheels to full deflection. As if something was binding (again).

5. In addition it shifts fine going down the road, but it does seem to be more draggy than my other 90 AWD Legacy, and the mileage seems to be less.

In addition the fluid, filter, cooler, and lines have been flushed and changed with no change to the conditions.

It's hard to imagine that towing it only 10 miles would cause any damage, but that's what I'm asking.

I will go and pull the AWD fuse to see if there is a difference during the diagnosis

HELP!!

I think u messed up ur awd system. You not suppost to tow a subaru unless all 4 wheels are off the ground. Now it to see if electronics work, with the FWD fuse in, does the car bind? ANd with mine it did the exact same thing when the drive solenoid and clutch packs for the awd unit where shot.

You did the worst thing you can do with any auto tranny, you flat towed it. When you flat tow an auto car with the engine off, your not pumping fluid in the tranny. Tranny fluid lubricates as well as cools. You ruined the clutch pack, the clutches, and most likely some mechanical parts.

You need a replacement tranny.

nipper

Yes I towed it with all wheels on the ground, as I have towed many auto trans cars and never had a problem till now.

Is there some testing I can do to make sure I need a new tranny? Line pressure check, etc..?

Looks like I'll be replacing the transmission now.:confused:

Thanks for all the answers.

Also does anyone use a trans cooler on Legacy's as I have done on my SVX? Is it as necessary as the SVX for longevity?

You did the worst thing you can do with any auto tranny, you flat towed it. When you flat tow an auto car with the engine off, your not pumping fluid in the tranny. Tranny fluid lubricates as well as cools. You ruined the clutch pack, the clutches, and most likely some mechanical parts.

nipper

Yes I towed it with all wheels on the ground, as I have towed many auto trans cars and never had a problem till now.

Is there some testing I can do to make sure I need a new tranny? Line pressure check, etc..?

Looks like I'll be replacing the transmission now.:(

Thanks for all the answers.

Also does anyone use a trans cooler on Legacy's as I have done on my SVX? Is it as necessary as the SVX for longevity?

nipper

bad bad bad thing to do on ANY auto tranny car pre 1969. You have just been lucky, but i bet even those you did some internal damage to, just it never showed up. Every mfg tells you NOT to do this.

nipper

Well, I did want to tow my little race boat. I towed it with my Honda wagon and it was fine. But, I don't know how robust the Subaru tranny's are? The mear fact that the SVX auto trans go out so easy tells me I should think about a trans cooler to be safe.

Ya i doubt the tranny cooler is neccessary, unless u plan on towing anything.

ANd Manarius thanks for reminding me of the edit button, hehe.

Well, I did want to tow my little race boat. I towed it with my Honda wagon and it was fine. But, I don't know how robust the Subaru tranny's are? The mear fact that the SVX auto trans go out so easy tells me I should think about a trans cooler to be safe.

THis is a totally different situation! you towed the car with all 4 wheels on the ground, has nothing to do with a trans cooler.

Most FWD cars have a tow range of 12 miles under 30 MPH before transmission damage occurs, AWD's produce more heat since there is more drag on the internal parts from both ends. Anything with an automatic used for towing should have a cooler added with a rating of double the GVW especially for a transmission that uses a lockup converter.