Ultimate Subaru Message Board

undercar rust....95 legacy wagon

Hey guys I have been noticing a very wierd trend with my 95 wagon.

The chassis and front of the car are fine and really have minimal to no rust or even corrosion anywhere....The rear however is a different story.

All of the paint has flaked off of the swaybar, some of the bolts are clearly rusted, there is a big metal piece that I guess holds the differential to the chassis almost like a thck metal bar with rubber bushings connecting the tierods and rear suspension...well most of/all of the paint has rusted off and it looks like rot...nothing is rotted through, but it looks nasty....I have heard of older subies rotting out, but are the newer ones supposed to do that too?

Car drives perfect, and I am finally in the home stretch of replacing all of the parts that need to be replaced, so I am hoping my problem is common, and nothing to worry about.

Thanks - Dan

I figured it was common with the damn salt. See I actually wash the underbodies of my cars once a week during 3 out of 4 seasons, but I guess the numbnuts who had the car before me though that road salt is not abrasive!:mad: My WRX is SPOTLESS underneath and has 62k on it just because I take such good care of it.

I just wonder why it's only the rear of the car that looks like crap....

They don't use salt in PA, so your '91 should look good.

My 96 Legacy has the same problems you are describing, only the back 1/4 is rusted. I was thinking because the auto car washes don't get the last 1/4 since it usually shuts off. I know its a stretch, but wth

Theres something about salt they put (used to put?) on roads in NY/NJ...

You've hit the nail on the head; Not all locals can afford to use the same product, moreover, here in central Iowa they use a pretty bland Mix. If however, you moved to eastern Iowa it entirely different ball game (same weather). The cars show it and are much more obviously rusted by it.

John

All I got to say is be glad ya don't live in Vermont...well, as far a salt and rust go.

There is a product here that supposedly electronically keeps rust from forming, negative ions or something. If I had the spare $200 I'd give it a try.

In the meantime, it's time to get the oil spray job done again before winter.

cheers!

All I got to say is be glad ya don't live in Vermont...well, as far a salt and rust go.

cheers!

I live right down the road in Bristol, so I feel your pain. Every bolt snaps off. Any job that brings you under the car is a major undertaking.

An acetylene torch and a bottle of antiseize are requirements here.

Or if you're like my father -- don't touch anything unless you absolutely positively have to.