Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 Gl Wagon - The short

This comes under the heading odd so odd I can hardly believe it happened and maybe it happened to you.

I blew the fuse for the interior / brake lights 3 times before I found out why it was blowing the fuse. The socket much have been going for a long time and it was getting hot and it caused the lead from the bottom of the stop side of the lamp to melt and it grounded to the inside of the socket. Every time I hit the break I blew the fuze.... 3 or 4th from the left on the top row... What a very odd thing to happen... certainly its never happened to me before. I removed the lead bridge with a screwdriver and tommorrow Il get a new socket...

Has this ever happened to you?

Robert

I haven't seen that before, but water intrusion can cause serious problems with those sockets. The current and water mix causes accelerated deterioration of the zinc coating. If the thing won't seal on it's own, I'll generally use just about an a$$load of RTV on them. I've had to do that on several of the hummer's turn signal housings down at the motorpool.

GD

The first series of Lexus's were recalled for a simillar malfunction soon after its introduction in 1989. The center bake light housing would melt if the brakes were appied for any length of time. I took note of the recall because Lexus issues the recall voluntarily, while Chrysler and GM were in the news for resisting to recall some models for a more serious problem. I thought it was great public relations on Lexus's part and stupid for the Big Two to allow the bad publicity, and both companies were forced to issue the recall anyway.

The first series of Lexus's were recalled for a simillar malfunction soon after its introduction in 1989. The center bake light housing would melt if the brakes were appied for any length of time. I took note of the recall because Lexus issues the recall voluntarily, while Chrysler and GM were in the news for resisting to recall some models for a more serious problem. I thought it was great public relations on Lexus's part and stupid for the Big Two to allow the bad publicity, and both companies were forced to issue the recall anyway.

If the rear quarters are open, its a good cause for that short.

Sonicfrog: I have encountered it first hand with gm. I had a corsica, the last year, with a perfectly cracked firewall (lifetime part). After getting the net and searching, there was a few early years of this problem on the corsica, claimed to be fixed in 95. So..the 96 if it should do it, like mine did, there is nothing to do but accept it.

I often wonder why sube hasn't recalled for EGR in the loyale generation, especially 2wd's. My problem with it was nothing shy of deadly. It even went invisible on the electrical within the vicinity, even behind the firewall. If it weren't for the metal in my foot making me supernatural in "feeling" the flying invisibles, I would not have guessed egr... but oh it was.

I got a closer look at the socket this afternoon. The nearly entire connector for the brake light circut is just missing... I guess when I scraped away the lead I may have taken it off also or it might be on the bottom of the bulb I threw away.

I wasnt able to get the proper socket for this but I got a generic replacement and I think I can mangle it enough to go on and Il gasket seal it... really the bracket isnt that differant and I think I can make short work of this with a cutter and fit the baby right in.. otherwise its electrical the same.

Supposed to be a nice day tomorrow.... if I can get out of bed I can do this in no time...

Robert