Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Salvage yard 5MT has torque bind

96 obw 5MT 157k miles. just had installed a used tranny with claimed 75k miles, shifts perfectly but has torque bind in tight turns. i bought the tranny from the salvage yard for $650, 30 day warranty, no labor coverage. the old VC had no binding at all but i never tried it in the slick stuff to know if it's any good so i'm hesitant to swap that one in. the #s on both trans were the same so i can assume it's not a ratio mismatch. i have not yet approached the salvage yard about this, figured i'd get your advice first.......

i'd talk to the yard, and see what they suggest. putting in a different trany is more work , but you can't live with what you have. i don't know how much work it is to swap the VC but if it's dooable you might look for half of your money back from the salvage yard. that might make it worth it.

96 obw 5MT 157k miles. just had installed a used tranny with claimed 75k miles, shifts perfectly but has torque bind in tight turns. i bought the tranny from the salvage yard for $650, 30 day warranty, no labor coverage. the old VC had no binding at all but i never tried it in the slick stuff to know if it's any good so i'm hesitant to swap that one in. the #s on both trans were the same so i can assume it's not a ratio mismatch. i have not yet approached the salvage yard about this, figured i'd get your advice first.......

so i should get some money back from the junkyard and then what? the dealer wants $1500 to replace VC which i cant afford, and the VC from the bad trans might be no good which would be wasted money spent on labor to swap it in. :confused: