Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have read several threads mentioning that if you want to save money and can wait, Buy parts online. Great idea, but what if you cant wait.

Try printing the online parts list with prices and taking it to your local dealer. Tell them you would rather keep your money in the local economy, then ask them if they will match the prices on line that you have. point out that yes you have to pay shipping but don't usually have to pay tax!

My experience is that most dealers will be willing to match or at least come very close to the online parts pricing to earn your business..

hope this helps

DJ

Screw the dealers, they suck, i'm glad you've liked your experience. the same can be done with even your local auto parts places. the national chains maybe not, but the locals have the flexibility to price match. local shop wanted $220 for an XT6 head gasket set. they came down to $150 when i showed them the online pricing i could get.

If you want OE parts on many things you have no choice but to work with a dealer of some sort. Another advantage of trying to get a low price at a local dealer is you may get your parts faster. If the online dealer you order from doesn't have what you need, then you have to wait for them to get it and then reship it to you. Another tip I heard was to call the dealer and ask for the list price on an item and then ask what's my price on that. Even if the local dealer won't match the lowest internet price you might at least get it for less than what the normally sell to walk-ins.