Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Intercooler....help please

beataru.. taking the thermostat out of a car desnt cause it to overheat unless the radiator is partially blocked. it CAN happen, but its far from a rule.. down here in south florida, lots of us just yank em instead of replacing, because we never have to worry about a truly "cold" start.

just FYI. someone had to tell me once, not too long ago.

yea, I'm driving my EA82 with no t-stat in 40* weather, and it barely warms up...

Hi Guys.i want to intercool my ea82 as well.i don't see anyone mention about the small water hose(the one from top of the thermo housing) goes to the intake metal pipe?can i just cap it off?thanks.

your not talking about the thermo housing.... wait i just wokeup give me a couple hours....................................................

Hi Guys.i want to intercool my ea82 as well.i don't see anyone mention about the small water hose(the one from top of the thermo housing) goes to the intake metal pipe?can i just cap it off?thanks.

no.

its not a coolant hose its part of the idle air control circit. you will need it unless you just want to crank up the idle. I would keep it if I were you.

you don't need a BOV/BPV with any turbocharged car, thats BS. Stock, our EA82Ts never came with a BOV because they don't run enough boost stock, to have any major life threatening effects. A BOV/BPV does one thing. When you take your foot off the gas to shift gears, after getting into it, it prevents the pressure from the turbo from slamming into the butterfly in the throttle body. It helps when running higher boost so it doesn't grenade the throttle body. On 7psi, or even 10psi, its not needed but it is a good idea, especially if you drive like a wild man and decide to crank the boost up. I have seen people make block off plates for WRX intercoolers so they don't run a BOV/BPV.

you don't need a BOV/BPV with any turbocharged car, thats BS. Stock, our EA82Ts never came with a BOV because they don't run enough boost stock, to have any major life threatening effects. A BOV/BPV does one thing. When you take your foot off the gas to shift gears, after getting into it, it prevents the pressure from the turbo from slamming into the butterfly in the throttle body. It helps when running higher boost so it doesn't grenade the throttle body. On 7psi, or even 10psi, its not needed but it is a good idea, especially if you drive like a wild man and decide to crank the boost up. I have seen people make block off plates for WRX intercoolers so they don't run a BOV/BPV.

Im asuming that he wants to have some power.... Stock EA-82Ts are slow...... oh yeah caboob answer my question in my thread"EA-82T Boosting" please......

So after much thought I think I may have figured it out let me know if I am right please.

Large inlet hole at front of intercooler must be rigged up to the end of the silver thing with subaru turbo 4wd on it?? Does this need to be cut slightly or is it better just to raise it an inch or so with two new silicone joiners?

Two outlets at bottom side of intercooler need to be joined to a y pipe and then joined back up just in fromt of the turbo where the old subaru 4wd turbo silver thing used to join??

Please tell me its as simple as that?......is it?

Thanks

Yup, the y-pipe which goes on the to inlets on the back, connect from the outlet of the turbo. The large diameter outlet on the front of the intercooler goes to the throttle body. Its very simple, just doing the plumbing isn't exactly easy per say.

Thanks Caboobaroo..........can the original throttle body be "trimmed" to ease the harshness of the bends to the intercooler outlet or are harsh bends not our enemy in an intercooler installation?

Cheers

Thanks Caboobaroo..........can the original throttle body be "trimmed" to ease the harshness of the bends to the intercooler outlet or are harsh bends not our enemy in an intercooler installation?

Cheers

Harsh bends are not a turbo charged vehicles friend... but if you have to... and you keep them at a bare minimum then there ok... your talking like elbow harsh right??? your not making a rollercoaster out of pipe are you?? :banana:

Harsh bends are not a turbo charged vehicles friend... but if you have to... and you keep them at a bare minimum then there ok... your talking like elbow harsh right??? your not making a rollercoaster out of pipe are you?? :banana:

No rollercoaster piping, its just that the original "silver subaru 4wd turbo" thing reaches down quite deep towards the turbo and the intercooler obviously sits quite high, I just thought if I took an inch and a half of the end piece it would make the climb to the intercooler less steep and less angular. (if you get what I mean?)

Thanks.

Any easy ways to install a boost tap, or is that question for another thread?

I appreciate all your help everyone.

Do you have to add a BOV when installing an intercooler???

A BOV is a performance enhancer that prevents backpressure between the turbo and throttle body from slowing the turbo down, which creates excessive lag. The blowoff valve is a simple, quick, cheap, dirty alternative to a bypass valve, which recirculates the pressurized air back to the turbo inlet. I often see WRXs with the BPVs removed and replaced with BOVs. Aside from making a whoosh noise when you shift, all this does is waste the air that the turbo just pressurized by dumping it and create more lag.