Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Im Back!! With A New Ride!!

Alright after being so busy this summer and after killing my loyale, i finally bought myself a new subaru. Its a 1985 GL Wagon, with a carbed 1.8, a dual range 5-speed, all digital dash, power windows, locks, and even a power sunroof. I like it a lot, when i bought it, it needed a new water pump. I replaced it and i didnt get it sealed properly so it leaks a little. I will fix this later. The question i have right know is that the temp guage is not working, i replaced the sending unit, the one on top the motor, and this did not help. Is there a different sensor i cant find? Also, what is the possibility of replacing it with a different guage, like one i mount on the dash or something. When im working with the cooling system i would like to have a proper sensor. Well thanks a lot. Feels great to be back.

I've seen at least 3 different ea82 manifolds, mine has one sensor by the thermostat and the other one I've seen has two by the thermostat and one neer the other end of the manifold, all the sensors looked the same so they shouldn't be hard to spot :)

85 digidash == go get an aftermarket temp gauge. much better and more reliable readout than stock. thats the conclusion ive been led to, because my car's behavior caused me to question whether voltage drops were being registered as heat spikes.

read up on the digital dash and the accuracy of the gauges.. do a search digi +temp, that oughta do ya... the consensus seems to be that an aftermarket gauge is your best bet.

Could be a ground issue...

But I second the aftermarket guage. Even a cheap one will be more accurate, and you don't want to risk the head gaskets on the EA82's.

Yes you will have to replace the sender with the aftermarket version.

You would be wise to install an oil pressure guage. Lack of an OP guage is what has done-in most of the digital cars.

GD