Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1st Gen lift and tires size and performance ?

Anyone in Colorado running larger than stock tires on factory gears?

I want to put in outback struts and run 215/75/R15 BFG ATs.

How much will these affect the performance?

Anyone in Colorado have this combo, how is it up I-70?

The stock 2.2 is not much of an uphill burner as it is. ;)

I am in the springs, I am running 205/75R15's on my 97, you can see some pics here.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=11416&cat=500&thumb=1

I am just about to start making a suspension lift for it. If you need work done on your Subaru or interested in a lift, PM me.

Keep in mind when you go to larger tires, they may fit fine when on the highway but what you need to check is at max spring compression while turning. I had to remove my front mudflaps and hammer down the lower part of the seam in the rear of the wheel well to be sure i had no contact issues when off road. The only real reason to go with a 215/75/R15 is if you want a dedicated mud tire. a couple companies make a mudder in that size. also a 27x8.50LT15 will be about the same size.

otherwise if you want a good AT tire, you can get a few AT's in 205 instead of 215's General Grabber AT2, BFG AT, Uniroyal Liberator AT (my tire)

the bigger you go the more power and torque you sacrafice and the 1gens don't have a lot of that to spare like the Turbos and H6's

i ran 27" kumhos on my 90 legacy wagon with just installing outback struts with the legacy springs.... drove fine, lose a little bit of the bottom end and the gas mileage went down to about 17-23 mpg depending on how i drove it.... the only time i had rubbing problems was when i was at full lock either left or right, but nothing other than that.......if i were to do it again, which hopefully i will, im going to do outback struts and springs, which would require a redrill of the rear strut mounting holes( different bolt pattern ), and then you would either need to get rid of the swaybar or modify the mounts somehow..... i just figured id get rid of em.......anyway, its doable.... and its a blast as you dont really lose to much of the handling factor, but gain fun factor......

I am in the springs, I am running 205/75R15's on my 97, you can see some pics here.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=11416&cat=500&thumb=1

I am just about to start making a suspension lift for it. If you need work done on your Subaru or interested in a lift, PM me.

Keep in mind when you go to larger tires, they may fit fine when on the highway but what you need to check is at max spring compression while turning. I had to remove my front mudflaps and hammer down the lower part of the seam in the rear of the wheel well to be sure i had no contact issues when off road. The only real reason to go with a 215/75/R15 is if you want a dedicated mud tire. a couple companies make a mudder in that size. also a 27x8.50LT15 will be about the same size.

otherwise if you want a good AT tire, you can get a few AT's in 205 instead of 215's General Grabber AT2, BFG AT, Uniroyal Liberator AT (my tire)

the bigger you go the more power and torque you sacrafice and the 1gens don't have a lot of that to spare like the Turbos and H6's

did not know they made BFG ATs in 205s.

I am still concerned about the gearing since you have an outback so the gearing is lower than my legacy.