Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Overheating issues with a 90 legacy 2.2

Ok need some advise here.

Issue is my brothers 91 2.2 is over heating, we flushed the system, put in new fluid.

The car will not burp itself, I know the drill (I have owned 12 Subarus) but this will not burp.

What happens is the car will not overheat for a few day, then slowly the overflow tank start filling up and will not suck back in?

The car has an aftermarket thermostat, has two holes drilled in it.

Also has an after market water pump from previous owner. Could the fins be wrong on the pump causing flow to be going the wrong way?

Any ideas on this?

replace the radiator cap(s).

make sure the hose from the radiator to the overflow tank is in good working order. no leaky and no cloggy.

install a subaru thermostat. someone just posted a side by side picture of subaru thermostat and an aftermarket....amazing difference. i'm a believer as of last week when i saw that.

and be very careful....overheating 17 year old gaskets and seals is not a good thing. while this is a great motor, bad things happen very quickly on seals and gaskets of this age. you don't want to blow a headgasket on such a good motor.

make sure the hose from the radiator to the overflow tank is in good working order. no leaky and no cloggy.

install a subaru thermostat. someone just posted a side by side picture of subaru thermostat and an aftermarket....amazing difference. i'm a believer as of last week when i saw that.

and be very careful....overheating 17 year old gaskets and seals is not a good thing. while this is a great motor, bad things happen very quickly on seals and gaskets of this age. you don't want to blow a headgasket on such a good motor.

Great advise, I will do all of these tonight and post back.

Thanks!! :D

Probably was me..

Aftermarket on the left and OEM on the right.

thermostats.jpg

I had a hell of a time burping my 2.2L Turbo. Yours turbo or NA?

Great advise, I will do all of these tonight and post back.

Thanks!! :D

OK update, put in new Subaru thermostat and cap.

Followed my normal fill routine, proper burping sequence.

Now this is still overflowing the overflow tank and the upper radiator hose is very hard, like it is full of air.

I release the pressure valve on the radiator tank and gas goes out and the hose is soft again.

But when I feel the top hose it is super hot and I can feel the fluid boiling inside the hose.

I am afraid of this diagnostic but I think he has a Head Gasket leak. :eek:

Could this be true on a 2.2 motor with a measly 150,000 miles???:mad::mad:

there's no leakage anywhere? no oil/coolant mixing? no bubbles in the overflow tank when it starts to get hot and is turned off?

the problem is likely age related if it ends up being a head gasket. the radiator, hoses, clamps, overflow hose, radiator cap, thermostat, water pump and others may have never been replaced. likely something failed and caused the head gaskets to blow rather than the head gaskets blowing for no reason. if you fixed the gaskets or replaced the motor i'd be on the lookout for a bad radiator, water pump or something else cooling system related to make sure the new motor doesn't get hosed as well. 16 years is plenty of time for a part of the cooling system to fail.

i picked up a new to me XT6 this summer with 100,000 miles. when i get a new one (even if i'm going to sell it) i install new hoses, water pump, radiator, thermostat, radiator caps..etc. better to know it's all good then hope and have one cheap part ruin a perfectly good motor.

there's no leakage anywhere? no oil/coolant mixing? no bubbles in the overflow tank when it starts to get hot and is turned off?

the problem is likely age related if it ends up being a head gasket. the radiator, hoses, clamps, overflow hose, radiator cap, thermostat, water pump and others may have never been replaced. likely something failed and caused the head gaskets to blow rather than the head gaskets blowing for no reason. if you fixed the gaskets or replaced the motor i'd be on the lookout for a bad radiator, water pump or something else cooling system related to make sure the new motor doesn't get hosed as well. 16 years is plenty of time for a part of the cooling system to fail.

i picked up a new to me XT6 this summer with 100,000 miles. when i get a new one (even if i'm going to sell it) i install new hoses, water pump, radiator, thermostat, radiator caps..etc. better to know it's all good then hope and have one cheap part ruin a perfectly good motor.

Yea the car was purchased about 2 months ago.

Check it out a local shop and I gave it an eyeball.

The car has new waterpump, radiator, etc.

The overflow tank does get a few bubbles and fills up with fluid.

might want to do a hydrocarbon test to verify exhaust in the coolant.

if you fix it quickly it'll be fine. if it were bought this way and had possible previous overheating issues or has extensive water in the oil i wouldn't trust the motor. should be able to score a good condition 2.2 for not much money. swap motors and be done with it if the hydrocarbon test gives bad results.