Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Getting alot of movement in the tranny..

You can get them at most parts stores. These are the cheapest

I've seen so far -

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=sm1chiqg14h5tamc30hbspaf&makeid=800022@Subaru&modelid=805862@1800&year=1989&cid=803401@Transmission&gid=801027@Transmission%20Mounting

There was a thread a while back about repairing some mounts with

urethane. The kind used to set windshields. Do some searching.

There was a thread a while back about repairing some mounts with

urethane. The kind used to set windshields. Do some searching.

its easy.. just find a way to fill the old mount (wherever the stock rubber used to be) with the urethane. my brother did it with the motor and trans mounts on his CRX. stiff, but functional and safe. longevity of such a mount is questionable, but its not "bound to fail" rapidly by any means. Would I do it for a track car? no.. offroading, i dont know what to say, i dont do offroad, so im ignorant there.. but its not a cheap band-aid. kinda one of those best-of-both-world ghetto rigs :grin:

Is there 1 or 2 tranny mounts on these?

2 mounts. On 4wd, they usually stay good for a long time. The driveshaft does alot of stabilizing. I would blame the engine mounts first.

A 2wd bounces around even more, even when all mounts are good. :)

Really necessary to replace mounts:

(1) when exhaust flange after back of tranny leaks prematurely (2) when the steering wheel feels like it has a tug other than straight under hard throttling- for no obvious reason (3) the front universal goes bad on driveshaft at the back of tranny (4) the exhaust seems to hit the driveshaft even though mounted correctly. My personal experience with this required a broken unibody,a 17 year old sube, and me breaking it under extreme conditions, before all/any of these things happened. Let us know what you do with it!

its easy.. just find a way to fill the old mount (wherever the stock rubber used to be) with the urethane. my brother did it with the motor and trans mounts on his CRX.

Sadly, having worked with the same urethane, I can tell you that urethane has one big drawback to rubber - it does not adhere to metal. So with subaru mounts, it's not as simple as "filling it" since the mount is a rubber sandwitch between two steel plates. It just doesn't work. When the engine or tranny torques over to one side it will rip the urethane from the metal plate.

There are of course more complex ways to incorporate urethane that involve using closed sided blocks with steel bushings running through them.... insert complete mount redesign here....

GD