Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help please

I pulled my valve covers off today to replace the gasgets, and there was a plug sitting in each head. It was the same plug on each side. What does that mean? I tapped each one in as well as I could, But neither one went all the way in. Will this cause me any problems later? Thank you.

Yeah - you are going to want new freeze plugs - usually once they have popped out they are not good to reuse. You don't want them to leak....

It probably froze with only water in the engine - the ice expands and blows the plugs out - it's a good thing because otherwise it would crack the heads or block.

GD

There are 3 per head, 1 on each side and 1 in the top middle, how do you install those? Thanks for the help, with my clutch and this problem GD.

They are steel, and are basically just a friction fit. You will see the new ones you get are concave and the edges have a wedge shape. Use a socket that is near the same diameter with an extension on it to pound them in.

No problem on the help - that's what we are all here for. Even I have questions now and then :eek:

Oh - and you probably only need to replace the ones that have popped out ;)

GD

Ok so yesterday I couldnt get the plugs out, and I didnt want to pull my head (though I probably should have), so I just pulled off the rocker arms, and took a 14mm socket and pounded the plugs the rest of the way in. Will the plugs be prone to popping out now, and if they do come out, how will I know?