Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help-Wagon Stuck

Went and picked up my newest-83 Wagon GL manual trans-Dual Range. Put it on trailer, got it home and now it won't come off the trailer!

Stuff: The guy I got this from said that when he got this wagon a year or so ago said the original tranny had a bad 3rd gear syncro. It got worse so when he replaced the clutch he got a used tranny from the junkyard. Put both in- said it worked OK for a few months. Then the shifter kept getting locked up and hard to get out of gear.

It then proceeded to become undrivable, too many lockups.

When I went to get it, he could only get it into 3rd gear with the D/R in LOW position and drove it onto my trailer. When I got it home I took it out of 3rd to back it off the trailer. It is now completely locked up and won't move at all.

Sometimes if I get the shifter to move into a neutral spot, the D/R to a neutral spot, release the clutch w/ engine running...it won't budge not even by pushing the car.

If I can get it into a gear, when I release the clutch the engine speed seems to be going down as to stall, the car still does not budge an inch.

Help....I can't get it off the trailer and the trailer has to be returned as is not mine! LOL

Any ideas on what's going on here?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post

Peace....Ron

back up about 10ft from a large tree... drop ramp.. wrap tow strap from pull point under subie, around tree and back... get into main rig and drive....it will come off... possibly sprinkle sand along trailer to help with the sliding action... :lol:

+1 for pulling it off, easy fastest way to get it off the trailer if thats what you need, just make sure it will slide off the ramps rather than take the ramps with it.

UPdate, Got the wagon OFF the trailer today. It was the HillHolder! Thx Qman and GD. Will remember the other sand trick as well.

The hillholder lever was all the way to the left position. Loosened the nut around 1 1/2 inches of thread. Lever went over to correct position-rolled right off trailer!!

Now on to the tranny.

When I put in to neutral, car rolls. When I put it to any gear, 4WD H/L and let out the clutch the motor starts to stall. If I really give her gas, the car will start to move very slowly but almost stalls.( In reg 2WD, it won't budge.)Then the shifter gets stuck. I have to roll the car a little to get the shifter Unstuck. Feels like the brakes are still on or something. When I get it back in neutral, it will then roll freely. When in gear with clutch in it won't roll.

How would the brakes be locking up in gear but not in neutral?

Guy told me tranny was prob trashed......is he correct or is there still hope?

Again, thanks to all for the great suggestions to help me get it off the trailer. Much appreciated!!!

Peace....Ron

Almost sounds like the front diff is stuffed.... in which case the tranny is done, yes. I've had gear bind where one of my 4 speed's would bind in 4th if you came to a complete stop while in gear, but I ignored it and am in the habit of going to neutral for full stops anyway.

Brakes are not your problem - clearly since it rolls in neutral. That also rules out the axles, rear diff (it will spin when the car rolls), and rear driveline...... which leaves *the tranny*.

So, yeah - he's probably right. Jack the front up and put it on jack stands. Play with the front wheels and see what you can hear going on inside the tranny. Might pull the drain plug and see if you have a shavings forest or maybe some chunks in there. It doesn't happen often, but more so with the 4 speed than the later 5 speed. I personally own two 4 speed boat anchors, and have yet to fail a 5 gear unit.

GD