Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well here are the #s on the transmissions. Anyone know the meaning??

95 Legacy 2.2 AWD/4EAT TZ102ZA AAA-C7

95 Impreza 2.2 AWD/4EAT TZ102ZA 3BA-G9

I have a spare Impreza trans out of an identical Impreza and the # s are the exact same as the Impreza above. I do know that the engines are EXACTLY the same.

Could it be that the Impreza's are imported and the Legacy's are made here?

Thx, Todd

Well here are the #s on the transmissions. Anyone know the meaning??

95 Legacy 2.2 AWD/4EAT TZ102ZA AAA-C7

95 Impreza 2.2 AWD/4EAT TZ102ZA 3BA-G9

I have a spare Impreza trans out of an identical Impreza and the # s are the exact same as the Impreza above. I do know that the engines are EXACTLY the same.

Could it be that the Impreza's are imported and the Legacy's are made here?

Thx, Todd

i'm confused.

what car are you driving, which trans is in the car, which trans is the spare?

I own both a 95 Impreza and a 95 Legacy. I drive both. I have the spare transmission in storage. Just for reference, I indicated that my spare Impreza trans has the same # as the one in my Impreza.

All I'm trying to determine, is if the Legacy and Impreza transmissions interchange.

Todd

i tried looking up and didn't find much. i agree they are probably different and likewise i have nothing to back that up except to say every time i compare impreza and legacy trans they are different final drives. with information on this being so scarce and variable i'd personally want to count to verify no matter what. if you jack the rear of the vehicle up, simply turning the tire and counting the driveshaft will give you the gear ratio. compare the legacy and impreza. of course you can always swap the rear diff as i'm sure you are aware.

i looked in the salvage yards as well. they do have a decent interchange ability, but they certainly don't cover everything that's interchangeable. on some transmissions a few places list the final drive ratios (typically older subaru's), but i've never seen them list the final drives of newer EJ tranny's when i've looked. this leads me to believe they are as clueless as we are and therefore the absense of the interchange doesn't necessarily tell us that they don't.

i still don't think the impreza/legacy will interchange just based on the little that i do know..impreza and legacy usually have differeing final drives if everything else is equal (or not).

another test.....i'd count the revolutions myself and be done with it. but if the RPM's and speed don't match that would be a hard clue that they are different. in other words if one is turning a different RPM at 70mph, that would indicate the final drive or interal gearing is different.

Well, I'll do the counting and look at the tach in the 2 while driving.

I was in hopes that maybe since the part # stickers on the trans were close, they might be the same. It would make sense that the drive ratio be different, as the Legacy is a bit heavier. But according to the graphic from the manual above,( Earlier post) Legacy 777/ it indicates the "distance between gears" is the same. Hmm

And as for salvage yard interchanges, if salvage yard interchanges were surgeons text books, lot's of people would be dead! :grin:

Todd

I believe they both have 4.11 (37/9) final drive ratio. I know my '95 2.2 Impreza has 4.11 and it's unlikely that Legacy had 4.44 (40/9) which is the next one up. The Legacy transmission might have more more friction pairs in some of the clutches, which is the case for SVX vs. the rest and also for 2.2 Impreza vs. 1.8, but here I'm just speculating.