Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are all synthetic oils created equal?

I am curious to know if all synthetic oils are basically the same. Are there only marginal differences between leading synthetic brands? I probably know the answer to this, but is generic full synthetic oil pretty much the same as a brand name synthetic such as (10W30 Quaker State, Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobile1, etc.)? If not, what synthetic oil is the best for price? I personally think oil is important enough to not go cheap on, but what is the most cost effective synthetic? Thanks all my fellow happy Subaru lovers!

Did you try searching this one? I hate to open this can of worms again (synthetic oil debates). Theres also TONS of google searches that would probably compare some.

IMO Penn, quaker, etc aren't meant for a Subaru. Mobil1 and Valvoline are the best IMO. Amsoil and other not so major oil company oils seem to really have some quality and backing around here too.

this gets asked all the time, use the search button and read yourself asleep....

I've lately been using Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 and it's been good.
he's not saying using those oils will immediately incinerate every car they are used in. there's lots of debate and little quantitative useful information to the average car owner. yes there are differences, but the bottom line seems to be that the net results of those differences don't amount to anything substantial/functional in the real world (my oppinion). in other words...you're much more likely to have water pump, alternator, suspension, driveshaft, transmission or some other problem before the fact that you used "X" oil ruins your engine or keeps you from making it to 200,000 or 300,000 miles. change your blah blah blah synthetic oil on time and subaru's make 200,000 miles no problem, period.

The basestocks in synthetic oils of course are either group IV (PAO) and/or group V (ester), and some companies will say group III is synthetic although is actually made from petroleum. There are different quality levels of basestocks. The additive pack is critical also as you need quality AW anti-wear and other additives (antioxidants, etc.) and there are many types available to the oil blender, some are cheap and some cost more. If you look at the specs on various oils, you will see many differences between the pour point, flash point, TBN, viscosity at various temperatures, HT/HS, etc., all of which must be weighed determining on the application. Often, the blenders buy the additive packs from places like Lubrizol, who then suggests a basestock to use with it to meet the target specifications such as API-Swhatever.

I use Mobil1 or Castrol synt. whichever is cheaper

Mobil 1 is a full synthetic, Castrol Syntec is a synthetic blend. They are two entirely different oils and not comparable.

Personally, I only use full synthetics.

Jack