Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a whole ton of questions

lucifer_1_child

The GL10 had a EA82t motor. This has better flow heads and MPFI. It also only got 115hp, which from the SPFI motors (completely different heads) 90-95hp(?) is pretty bad. You wouldn't even get what the original turbo motor got by just adding a turbo.

It's been said a lot here, just put a ej22 in.

The work it takes wiring up the EA82t is just not worth the gain. EJ22 is almost as easy and you get 135hp without turbo spool..

EJ22 FTW, trying to turbo a car that came non, especially one so old and with such primitive fuel injection and no anti knock provisions is asking for a blown motor.

I've got the EJ22 in my offroader, and with 28 inch swampers, i'm able to hold 5th gear up hills most of the time.

The GL10 had a EA82t motor. This has better flow heads and MPFI. It also only got 115hp, which from the SPFI motors (completely different heads) 90-95hp(?) is pretty bad. You wouldn't even get what the original turbo motor got by just adding a turbo.

It's been said a lot here, just put a ej22 in.

The work it takes wiring up the EA82t is just not worth the gain. EJ22 is almost as easy and you get 135hp without turbo spool..

i believe it was 80 stock

i believe it was 80 stock

91, to be exact (EA82 SPFI....carbed was closer to 80)

anyway, the EJ22 was in alot of subarus. probably the best donor car would be a '90-'94 legacy. these have the simplist wiring system (OBD I), and are pretty common. easiest way is to buy a car that is rusted out, or has been rear-ended, and strip it yourself. Junkyard donors are possible, but you have no idea of the history, and it's a pretty big job to try to do in a junkyard. much easier to take your time in your own driveway/garage.

pretty similar amount of work to any other engine swap, and is the best option as far as power/torque for your money!!

about the info source.....I'm working on a conversion site. it's under construction, I should have some time off this week, so maybe I'll get around to finishing it!

http://www.geocities.com/numbchuxSOAD/EA2EJ

I'm mostly using info from this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/...ad.php?t=48848

91, to be exact (EA82 SPFI....carbed was closer to 80)

anyway, the EJ22 was in alot of subarus. probably the best donor car would be a '90-'94 legacy. these have the simplist wiring system (OBD I), and are pretty common. easiest way is to buy a car that is rusted out, or has been rear-ended, and strip it yourself. Junkyard donors are possible, but you have no idea of the history, and it's a pretty big job to try to do in a junkyard. much easier to take your time in your own driveway/garage.

pretty similar amount of work to any other engine swap, and is the best option as far as power/torque for your money!!

why not the imreza outback sport i do imagine the wiring is more complex

do i need to replace the comp to ?

some on in a nother thread told me my car had 80, and what is the ea-82t

i have the spfi 1.8

EA-81 had 68 or 72 horse, depending on weather it had hydro lifters or not. I'm not 100% on those numbers however.

EA-81T, the T is for turbo, had 95 HP.

The EA-81 had pushrods, and no timing belts.

EA-82 Carby had 85 horse, and 100 torque

EA-82 SPFI had 90 horse and 101 torque

EA-82 MPFI had 95? horse and 101 torque

EA-82T had 115 HP and more torque, maybe 135?

legacy EJ22 has 135 horse, and 135 footpounds

Legacy EJ22T, For turbo, has 160 HP, 180 foot pounds.

why not the imreza outback sport i do imagine the wiring is more complex

do i need to replace the comp to ?

an outback sport will have the same basic engine. but OBD II (more complex wiring...), and probably single port exhaust.

yes, you'll need to replace the computer, and all the wiring between it and the engine. Mechanically speaking these swaps are a breeze....electrically, they're pretty difficult.