Ultimate Subaru Message Board

amazing thought for the subaru explorer

Subaru_Mechanic

so you have a 4x4 and you like exploring all over but have incounterd some problems, like puddles too deep or mud or fallen trees in ur way forcing you to turn back. wel i have the same problem sometimes. so i was thinkin about a good medium for suspention mods and i thought of air suspention, reason being is i can lower the ru for taking corners (some of us like to go faster than others) and lift it to go over the big stuff or deep stuff.:headbang:

now i havent done this and want to know if i should buy a kit to this.

will it work? (i think so)

Sure it'll work, but every time you lower it for the street, you're gonna have to swap tires, there isn't much clearance on the big offroad tires between the rubber and the fender. I don't really see the point, after you have it all setup the way you want you'll probably have spent about as much as it would have been to have one for the street, and one for the road.

Sure it'll work, but every time you lower it for the street, you're gonna have to swap tires, there isn't much clearance on the big offroad tires between the rubber and the fender. I don't really see the point, after you have it all setup the way you want you'll probably have spent about as much as it would have been to have one for the street, and one for the road.

I have to agree, but it sounds like a fun project. You could go with slightly oversized tires and make it work, but I dont think it wouldnt be a street machine. I've thought about an air suspension setup on my lifted wagon, have it setup to run at 8" lift with my 29x11.50 swampers and then when I'm driving it around lower to 4" so its a little bit more pavement friendly. I just dont have the money for it and I have other plans at the moment. One thing you have to consider is axle angles and extension.

I could totally see that being feasible if you're only talking going up a couple inches from stock height and using stock size tires. I dont know about mud but it sure would help with driving through deeper snow. While you could do the same thing without air suspension, its nice to be able to do it with the push of a button rather than a half hour adjusting the struts and torsion bar.

for the cost of a decent adjustable suspension that would allow both the performance capabilities you want, and the clearance for any decent offroading. not to mention 2 sets of tires. and the CV axles to handle the different ride heights, and still be able to articulate...etc. etc.

you could just buy, build, and insure 2 subarus. one for each.

If your sure that this is what you want you can Contact WWW.AIRBAGIT.COM I think they are in Pheonix Az.They quoted me @$1000.00 to mail them my old struts (85 4wd RX) and they would put new shock cartrages in all 4, and convert to firestone bags/compresor/valves/tank,ect. complete basic kit.front/rear and side to side.(think of off road potential,not low rider lameness ) It would have as much lift as the travel of the shock cartrage allows.(I think he said 11in?)

When you look at there sight they will show you alot of other kits. some are as much as $2500.00 but dont get discouraged.these are bling bling ,most popular high priced newer car kits.when I spoke to the rep he told me they had nothing pre made for (what we call EA) cars. They didnt have much for subes at all.at that time 1 yr ago,But he told me they would take my old struts put new kyb cartrages,tig weld new plates on my struts to take the firestone bags.and mail it all back for around a grand..with the necessary entry level(low buck) components.

fine tune to your application with limiting straps and bump stops.

If you ever drove off road high speed with stock subaru air ride (when it actually worked properly),or after market air, Man there is nothing like it.

If subaru would have done a better job on their electro-pnuematic suspension, we

probably wouldent even be discussing it.

As far as the axle angles are concerened,we are not even close to using the full angles that the d.o.j.s alow if you do your mods to take advantage of some of that downward travel. and think outside of the lift kit box.you could gain a few more inches. The stink bug clearance is one of the best things about subarus especially the ea 81s. but there is alot of travel thats wasted there.Open up your fenders and cut/pound.re pannel your body to use some of that valuble travel that your springs rob us of. How tall is a compressed spring? how tall is a deflated air bag? More travel is easily done if you keep your tire o.d. around 26.5 and I can see it having 6-8 inches of adjustment easily maybe more.well se this winter.Ive Seen massive travel on buggies,and though suspension geometry is the key factor, its not all of the puzzle,its on these cars that my point is best seen,that alot of the travel in on the compressed side thats unobtainable with springs.not like an r/c car that will squat way low to the ground. even our lifted cars didnt seem to use all thats there because of the springs .

Most people wont dump 1000 clams in suspension on an old sube, but I will.

I figure it like this ,An ea 82 lift is around $400/500 bucks

I plan on tricking out my project for keeps.

So why not get 10 times the performance and adjustability advantages for another $500.00

the rear will get the lift from the struts alone,and front will be 2 inch main crossmember lift blocks w/ tranny cross member in the stock position,and let the air struts do the rest on the front. and run urathane bump stops ,($5.00 each)and protect cv's on the other end with nylon limiting straps.($4.00each) and some serious cutting bashing and panel rewelding to clear 27 inch tires. blabla blaahh. im trying to get mine done by spring and will have detailed pics.may need 2 inch blocks every were except the struts,not sure till I get it apart.

Good luck.:cool: forgive any typo's.drove from midland tx/pheonix.im fried.need sleepy thnx.

:brow: sweet! thanx for ur info. i know i will put all of my money into any subaru. I think subaru is the best car made and i will never convert. once i get a few good ones i will be set for life. (a street machine, a rally truck (my brat) and a lifted monster (a hatch) n gotta build my own (from the ground up) to take massive pride in, 'Project RUBASU' the best drifter mudder climber racer on the back roads, givin jeeps somthin ta envy) i dont stop until perfection. no huge dents, good paint job, sweet interior, safty (bars), and the smoothest most powerful engine with some nice lift mixed with mean tires.:headbang:

:brow: sweet! thanx for ur info. i know i will put all of my money into any subaru. I think subaru is the best car made and i will never convert. once i get a few good ones i will be set for life. (a street machine, a rally truck (my brat) and a lifted monster (a hatch) n gotta build my own (from the ground up) to take massive pride in, 'Project RUBASU' the best drifter mudder climber racer on the back roads, givin jeeps somthin ta envy) i dont stop until perfection. no huge dents, good paint job, sweet interior, safty (bars), and the smoothest most powerful engine with some nice lift mixed with mean tires.:headbang:

you've got all your priorities mixed up. Prepare to waste alot of money.

the stock axles can't even take the potential lift from the stock, adjustable struts. throw a suspension lift at it, and you won't make it to the offroad park.

Air suspension is a waste of money on a jeep. There is no way to build a car that is awesome at everything. mediocre...maybe. but you won't be able to build something that will be able to comfortably and safely do some rallying, AND be able to crawl over a small log.

but, don't let me talk you out of it

I think it would be neat if it works "well".

My dad always said though......."If you want a racecar, build a racecar."

The point is if you want an offroader that is remotely "jeep" capable, and want the handleing of a wrx on the pavement it will be very difficult.

Good luck with it and post pics :)

you guys keep gettin the wrong idea. i just wanna go fast on dirt/gravel and be in control (its doable)

then why do you need adjustable suspension? just get some cheap adjustable coilovers, and you're golden.

and you mentioned in the first post deep puddles/mud and fallen trees....that's a different sport than rallying

the other problem is if you want big tires. and still enough power to spin them enough to go rallyin, you'll start breaking axles and stuff

AND, if you start making your wheelbase wider, you'll put alot of strain on your wheel bearings.

but, like I said, don't let me stop you. but when it's done, and you start breaking stuff, and have to get towed home all the time, don't come whining to me about it.

so i guess theres no such thing as a lifted rally car that will ride threw a little trail and make it threw a medium mud puttle, and i give up if theres no such thing as widening kits and super durable bearings. forget i even posted this. just know im making a awd sand rail that will conqure the mountains.:headbang:

unfortunately. that's pretty much the case. unless you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on an entirely custom setup, but then, there wouldn't much soob left in it.....

it could be done, but for the cost, you could own 5 or 6 vehicles, one for each thing. and still have enough left over to daily drive a lamborghini....

see this is why i wan a rally wheeler... i go into the mountains by green water. and im out havin fun then boom a fallen tree or some bigger sized rocks. or a creek. i dont like turning back i wanna go threw it. ive seen custom sand rails made by my friends dads, and they are lifted really good and get sideways around the corners with no problems. thats why im so set on doin it, and a 4x4 would be even better:headbang:

bring a winch and a chainsaw and you dont need lift. You dont see anyone using a subaru for rockcrawling, and there is a reason for that, they arent the greatest at crawling over large things like fallen trees, easier to either move, destroy or go aroudn the obstacle.

Dont let us stop you, I say go for it and tell us how it goes. I see an air suspension like that being helpful for situations where articulation isnt required, like deep snow or deep water etc... less chance of breakage and just go easy on the throttle.

If you want a buggie like your friends, best to build one just like them.