Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just got 95 OBW for $450...few issues

Hey all. I just picked up a '95 Outback Wagon for $450...planning on it being a daily driver/winter beater so I don't rack up miles on my RX7. 255k and still running strong on this bad boy! Anyways it has a few issues that I'm keen on fixing.

- Exhaust has the smell of unburned HC's...basically I think it's running rich. Anything I should check/replace?

- Gears are sticky and the clutch feels like it's dragging (it's REALLY hard to get into gear). I'm planning on replacing the whole clutch shebang but I'm wondering if it could be something else.

- Rear struts are blown...any easy strut swaps I can do for a little better handling and/or some lift? :brow:

- What the hell does the fuse marked SBF No. 7 in the engine bay do? It's missing on my car.

- The gas door is stuck open. The cable is siezed or something - won't pop back out to lock the door. Can I get at it anywhere?

And finally some pics for you curious folks.

IMG_0317.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v126/SlickDizzy/Legacy/ :headbang:

With your clutch, check the simple stuff first. You don't have an extra thick aftermarket floor mat preventing the pedal from going all the way down, do you?

A bad O2 sensor might be causing a rich mixture.

Good luck!

nice deal for 450 dude.

for the gas poper thing, you should be able to get at the cable if you full the fender liner in the back wheen there, if you can get to it, take some cable lube and get it worked in the liner there, you should also be able to get to it from where you pull the lever.

As for struts, it's really easy to change them, but if you're going to do 2, you might as well do all 4. i think there's something like 2 bolts & 3 nuts to remove, and out comes your strut ;)

here's something i wrote up about lifting a roo' but it's the same as just changing your struts.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50268

i dunno if you can lift the OBW with just suspension mods.. you could of course get some king springs under there for like.. 450 bucks or so.

Thats really good deal!!! You can trying to swap the struts with the outback, complete bolt on and it will lift your car nicely:banana:

Good luck

I'll look into the oxygen sensor.

The car has NO floormats - I'm pretty sure it's not something silly like that...though it has happened before.

255K, it must have the 2.2. If it had the 2.5 you would have to have pick it up at the junk yard. Good Find

95 is the 2.2L, it's really just a Legacy L with two-tone paint, "active safety package" (AWD, ABS) and a decal on the back hatch.

I've been thinking going the same route, swapping in 96 outback struts to get "real" outback lift.

Great find, good luck,

matt

jesus christ....450 bucks...i cant see a speck of rust on there...and no dents cosmetically its beautiful...

if u dont have any luck with that cable i can send ya through the mail....i pulled it out of an impreza a while back...

i converted my fuel door to a flat fuel door...but never got around to installing the cable...i just use my knife to open the door lol (the redneck in me)

Thanks all. It looks pretty clean in the pics but it has some rust - fender corners and such that are pretty easily repairable, except for the hatch which is pretty rotted and is being replaced. It has a few minor dents, and it had a lot of scratches but the wax job really helped with that.

Front tires are okay but unfortunately the rears are pretty bald and don't match - I'm probably going to hook it up with dedicated winter tires.

WOW :clap:

You got a great deal... you are on par with me and my 97 I got for $500 though I had to do some work on it after the guy had put it in a Ditch.. On the plus side I never would have done the custom bumpers etc and all the other goodies i plan on doing if I had dropped several grand on a car like this.

I gotta do struts too. Advance auto has KYB's for under $400 for all four.

thats my next purchase once I get the rear bumper and skid plates done.

WOW :clap:

You got a great deal... you are on par with me and my 97 I got for $500 though I had to do some work on it after the guy had put it in a Ditch.. On the plus side I never would have done the custom bumpers etc and all the other goodies i plan on doing if I had dropped several grand on a car like this.

I gotta do struts too. Advance auto has KYB's for under $400 for all four.

thats my next purchase once I get the rear bumper and skid plates done.

Was this the car we all told you not to buy? :slobber: