Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2004 subaru legacy 35th anniversary edition sedan and I am coming up upon 30k, and I am getting ready to have my 30k done now, I have had the air filter replaced at my last oil change and I do not need my tires rotated or rebalanced due to new tires and a four wheel alignment. Now I thought that the spark plugs on the 2004's do not need to be done till 60k and I know the fuel filters on the 2004's are internal and do not need replacing also they are good for the life of the car. So I am having all the fluids replaced such as transmission,brake,coolant,oil,rear diff and the pcv valve replaced also. So if someone could let me know about the spark plugs I would appreciate it! I think other than that the 30k will be complete and I will be ready before winter comes, anything else I should do let me know thanks all!::headbang:

Maybe change coolant/antifreeze. What does your manual show for spark plug replacement interval? Probably just depends if you have long life plugs (such as platinum or iridium) in it. Is this an MT or AT? If AT you could add front diff gear oil to the list (assuming on the '04 AT's the front diff still doesn't share oil with the ATF). Could also consider changing PS fluid.

Wow, thats alot of maintenance for a car with 30k, i would leave it till atleast 140k MILES so 200,000KM lol. Im at 289,%^&KM and oriniginal brake fluid, just got the rear diff oil changed, need to change the front oil, tranny fluid needs to be changed(only changed tranny fluid ONCE and my dealer probably did fill it up full, and it would not shift into 4th gear, but i had no evidence, 2000CDN later and i got a rebuild, and THE WARRENTY is 100,000km, i was at 100,123, AWW), rad got flushed at 260,000km when water pump was replaced, and just engine oil. And here i am today!

Wow, thats alot of maintenance for a car with 30k, i would leave it till atleast 140k MILES so 200,000KM lol. Im at 289,%^&KM and oriniginal brake fluid, just got the rear diff oil changed, need to change the front oil, tranny fluid needs to be changed(only changed tranny fluid ONCE and my dealer probably did fill it up full, and it would not shift into 4th gear, but i had no evidence, 2000CDN later and i got a rebuild, and THE WARRENTY is 100,000km, i was at 100,123, AWW), rad got flushed at 260,000km when water pump was replaced, and just engine oil. And here i am today!
Your car is wayyyyyy different from a 2000. Cars nowadays are much less tolerant than the older cars. I think the 30k maintenance is excessive, but the 60k maintenance is not.

Your car is wayyyyyy different from a 2000. Cars nowadays are much less tolerant than the older cars. I think the 30k maintenance is excessive, but the 60k maintenance is not.

ya ur probably right about that. That bites, but someone has to make money :-\

That '04 maint schedule does show to inspect a lot of things, but the items to actually do such as replace coolant, engine oil, fuel filter (why does the wrx sti have double the replacement interval for fuel filter), air cleaner, brake fluid, rotate tires seems pretty straight forward. ATF and gear oil replacement are suggested under 'severe service' which some drivers will qualify for based on their description.