Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Corrosion around low beam lamps on '00OBW

Hi all, had another low beam blow out on my '00OBW the other day, I think it was the low beam but I can't remember, it was the H1 (smaller) bulb. When I took out the old one, I noticed this brownish gunk around the seat between the bulb and headlamp case. It had this gunk the last time I replaced the bulb and I cleaned it all up at that time and now it's back. Actually last time the bulb wasn't even blown out it just didn't have a good connection on that springy thing that holds the bulb in place. The white plastic gadget has the gasket in place and everything and I don't see corrosion elsewhere in there.

Also, I just learned it's best to replace the H1 bulbs with the engine off and key out of the ignition. I tried to it with engine running and accidentally touched the hot wire for the H1 bulb to ground and then heard the engine load up a bit and popped the headlamp fuse. Then I couldn't find any replacement fuse but noticed in the manual it said there were extras in the engine compartment fuse box cover (which i had just removed) and indeed there was! :banana:

Also, I just learned it's best to replace the H1 bulbs with the engine off and key out of the ignition. I tried to it with engine running and accidentally touched the hot wire for the H1 bulb to ground and then heard the engine load up a bit and popped the headlamp fuse.

PLEASE tell me you adjust the fan belts with the engine off ........

:rolleyes:

nipper