Ultimate Subaru Message Board

was wondering if anyone knew how to test the coolant sys. for pressure in order to fine a small leak. I was speaking to the shop I normally take my cars to when I can't fix them myself, he said that he would do a pressure test on the sys. to locate where the leak is. Was wondering if there was a real costly tool involved with that, or if it was something that I could myself.

You might look in to a fluorescent dye. I dunno if Napa carries one, but you need a black light.

http://www.tracerline.com/faq.html

was wondering if anyone knew how to test the coolant sys. for pressure in order to fine a small leak. I was speaking to the shop I normally take my cars to when I can't fix them myself, he said that he would do a pressure test on the sys. to locate where the leak is. Was wondering if there was a real costly tool involved with that, or if it was something that I could myself.

let's see, get a 6$ radiator cap, drill a hole in it, insert a bicycle tire nipple or the like, (plumbing suplly house has them for pressure testing new pipes) oh yeah... you'll need a bicycle tire pump and tire guage.

i'm just guessing , but that's what they do to test new water pipes. if the pressure is the same the next morning, no leaks. do not over pressureize the system, check the package for the new rad cap.

There is a neat little test system for this, you can get them from the Snap On truck, or most likely find them cheaper on line. It comes in a plastic molded case with about three or four styles of caps for different radiators, a small pump with gauges and line hook ups. I borrowed one from my nephew and was impressed with how useful it could be. I dont know how to post the image here but if you go to snap on tools and search (cooling system tester) it will bring this up.

Hey thanks y'all for the great suggestions. As I was looking at the radiator I noticed that there was some dried coolant on the right side. my upper and low hose needed to be replaced anyways, so i removed the radiator and found a 4inch long crack on the right side. My guess is that the crack was just big enough that when the sys. became pressurized that coolant would leak from here and spray over the right side of my engine. Any suggestions on the best way to fix the small crack? Or should I buy a new radiator? thanks

New radiator.

Hey thanks y'all for the great suggestions. As I was looking at the radiator I noticed that there was some dried coolant on the right side. my upper and low hose needed to be replaced anyways, so i removed the radiator and found a 4inch long crack on the right side. My guess is that the crack was just big enough that when the sys. became pressurized that coolant would leak from here and spray over the right side of my engine. Any suggestions on the best way to fix the small crack? Or should I buy a new radiator? thanks