Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok

so i have a 97 sub outback 191000 miles.

recently had to do a valve job so had engine out. while out i replaced all seals.

80000 miles later i am noticing a pretty big oil leak on the back side of the engine. where the the exhaust pipes come together. so is there anything other than the rear main seal that could be leaking. i do not want to have to deal with it again. and if it is it can you replace it with the engine in the car. one more question. i really don't want to do it again. would you think it is going to be an expensive job?

thanks

i love this site

jake

need to verify it's definitely oil leaking. are you loosing oil? is your trans fluid okay? (if it was an automatic the torque converter seal would be in the same area).

valve covers, head gaskets, rear cam seal, oil pan....are you sure it's not one of those?

as a side note the only rear main seals i've seen leak are the ones that have been replaced. the rear mains on subaru's very rarely leak, i can't think of any factory installed ones that i've seen leak, it's always been ones that were replaced. so my question is, when the motor was out did you replace the rear main seal?

ok

recently had to do a valve job so had engine out. while out i replaced all seals.

80000 miles later i am noticing a pretty big oil leak on the back side of the engine. where the the exhaust pipes come together. so is there anything other than the rear main seal that could be leaking.

I was leaking oil from what I thought was a rear main seal, but when I got underneth I noticed fresh oil on the underside of the valve covers.

Appearantly it would leak from there and blow farther back, making it look like it was leaking from further back on the engine. Cleaned it up underneth & now there's no more leak.

Oil Separator. On your engine it was plastic, replaced now by metal. Unfortunately you have to separate the engine / tranny to get to it. It's on the passenger side rear of the motor. Someone here may have a picture or engine drawing of it. This usually drips from the lower bell housing and is mistaken many times for a rear main seal, which also can be the culprit.

Inexpensive part.....expensive to replace.

ok

80000 miles later i am noticing a pretty big oil leak on the back side of the engine. where the the exhaust pipes come together. so is there anything other than the rear main seal that could be leaking. i do not want to have to deal with it again. and if it is it can you replace it with the engine in the car. one more question. i really don't want to do it again. would you think it is going to be an expensive job?

thanks

i love this site

jake

I am currious as to what the symptoms are of bad valves; That is what your issues were leading to the valve job?

Oil Separator. On your engine it was plastic, replaced now by metal. Unfortunately you have to separate the engine / tranny to get to it. It's on the passenger side rear of the motor. Someone here may have a picture or engine drawing of it. This usually drips from the lower bell housing and is mistaken many times for a rear main seal, which also can be the culprit.

Ditto. This was my thought as well. If you did not replace the plastic one wth the metal one when you did the work, it probably has "given it up" by now.

Commuter

Diagram #5

Sea#3