Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81t crank

All the same - I have a turbo crank in the engine I'm building right now. Side-by-side comparison they are identical. I just happened to have the turbo crank already turned, and an oversized bearing set for it so I used it instead. Got it from a board member who's project engine got caught in a garage fire - crank and new bearings were in his rig cause he had just picked them up from the machine shop :eek:

GD

Why would you want to do that? Yes, you could, but you need the push rods, and rocker assembly as well. The hydro's are better all around as they don't need adjustment. And the EA81 hydro lifters rarely tick like the EA82's. Plus the hydro rods are steel and the solid are aluminium.

GD

You would want to do that because of the excessive price that subaru charges for new lifters - it was gonna be about NZ$500 for a set of hydro lifters for my ea81.

Interestingly enough, im using hyro push rods and rockers.....

The push rods differ in length slightly, but seem the same otherwise...

as for the rocker arms, i still cant work out what the difference is.... maybe the only difference is the part number...!

This set up seems to work fine.....

You would want to do that because of the excessive price that subaru charges for new lifters - it was gonna be about NZ$500 for a set of hydro lifters for my ea81.

Well - there's Delta cam in Tacoma that sells new lifters for $7 each, and then there's also these guys that will rebuild your cores for less than $5 each:

http://www.mizpahprecision.com/pricing.htm

GD

Well - there's Delta cam in Tacoma that sells new lifters for $7 each

GD

What, ea81 hydro ones?

Still, that would end up being fairly expensive with shipping to NZ, not to mention having to wait around 3 months for them to turn up!

If mine had hydros in it when i pulled it apart i'd probably have stuck with them, but someone had already converted it, so i'd have had to get a new cam too.....

There very pricey in Aus too, thats if you can find a set, we would normally have to get these types of spares flown in from Japan and that also adds to the cost. The prices you have quoted would make it far easier and cheaper to order from the States, s**t, you would even save enough this way to have them air freighted in 7 days, very handy info, thanks.