Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What kind of modifications are we talking? Going this route interests me because of the lower insurance / sleeper car effect.

the usual culprits; up pipe, bigger turbo, down pipe and turbo back exhaust, bigger injectors and ecutek or other 'piggyback' or reflashed engine tuning.

suspension and brake upgrades along the way too, maybe a clutch upgrade and better fluids for the tranny and diffs maybe.

often Cobb and Vishnu and other companies sell 'packages' called stage 1, 2, 3 etc. .

Carl

the usual culprits; up pipe, bigger turbo, down pipe and turbo back exhaust, bigger injectors and ecutek or other 'piggyback' or reflashed engine tuning.

suspension and brake upgrades along the way too, maybe a clutch upgrade and better fluids for the tranny and diffs maybe.

often Cobb and Vishnu and other companies sell 'packages' called stage 1, 2, 3 etc. .

Carl

Yup, Texan basically explained all the modifications I was referencing. I know one guy on the bbs got 220awhp once with his 94SS. At least, I think it was awhp.

What kind of modifications are we talking? Going this route interests me because of the lower insurance / sleeper car effect.

You will have to excuse me if I slightly contradict some of the others when it comes to making power on the EJ22T's. I actually own one and have researched it exhaustively.

- 3" Turbo-back exhaust. One from a WRX can be easily fitted by a competent muffler shop. No reason to get less than 3" since they are so common. You'd spend more to go smaller.

- The up-pipe is fine, one of the last things you need to do if you are pushing for dyno-queen high numbers. Its already catless.

- Larger turbo. TD05-16G is the best bang for the buck. Good for around ~300 whp with a lot of tuning. Can be bought brand new for $650 or so or around $300 used.

- Increased fueling. You need different fuel rails to fit larger Subaru injectors. Or you can get custom ones made. Drop in a Walbro 255L fuel pump, also.

- Engine managment. *This is the most important point* This alone can unleash nearly 100 hp on the bone stock engine. You want a full stand-alone setup like a Autronic, Mega*Squirt, etc. This will run you over $1,000 but will infinitely allow you to utilize whatever parts are thrown at the car. Piggy-backs are not even worth messing with. Also figure in $100+/hr for 4wd dyno tuning. The more tuning time, the more power.

- Intercooler. The car does not come with one from the factory. You can fit a WRX top mount with some work or go with a front mount system. There is also a air-water intercooler that can be fitted relatively easily with some work running water lines and installing a pump and small radiator.

So depending on what you can buy used or new on many of these parts you can get nearly 300 whp for less than $3k.

Yup, Texan basically explained all the modifications I was referencing. I know one guy on the bbs got 220awhp once with his 94SS. At least, I think it was awhp.

The person you are referring to slapped a 16g on with a boost controller and called it a day. He did get 200+ whp and 260+ wtq with crazy AFR's all over the place. That's with the factory boost cut bypassed and the MAF sensor and injectors hitting their max.

So yes you can get that kind of power right away if you are willing to replace things when they break. Which the owner was aware of.

The person you are referring to slapped a 16g on with a boost controller and called it a day. He did get 200+ whp and 260+ wtq with crazy AFR's all over the place. That's with the factory boost cut bypassed and the MAF sensor and injectors hitting their max.

So yes you can get that kind of power right away if you are willing to replace things when they break. Which the owner was aware of.

I don't think Phil would be that stupid.

I don't think Phil would be that stupid.

Why don't you re-read the entire post about when he went to the dyno. Stop thinking and try reading. He and Matt were using the boost controller to keep their AFR's in check, so to speak. He just wanted to see what he would make on the dyno with that setup. Don't be silly, I'm not putting anyone down, I helped him set his car up. I just personally don't ride the 16g and forget it train.

Somehow, I get the feeling I have met Phil in real life, helped him with stuff and seen his car. He has seen and asked for a ride in my car. Yet, you seem to be an internet fanboy. Try talking sensibly once in a while, quit acting like you know everything. It would really help, it really would.

Don't think this is an attempt to brag. I'm just making you aware of facts that make what you are attempting to say quite rediculous. You don't more about how his car is setup, you don't much about turbo Legacy's in the first place that wasn't read on an internet board. I have personally driven one for 4 years and have done quite a bit of work to mine. So if you could allow me to let this poster know what all is ACTUALLY involved in trying to tune these that would be great. :rolleyes:

So hopefully now back on topic, destey let me know if you have any more questions about the BC turbo cars. I pay around $500 a year for full coverage. :) And they are quite the sleeper. At a road course I had one guy crawling on the ground to see what I had done to my car, "that's no normal Legacy!". :lol: