Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CCR Install - All well, but now... Help timing!

Howdy all.

Thanks for all the great tips/tricks. I successfully pulled my EA81 out of my wagon today... it took about 3 hrs or work, 5 hours total...

Here's a few picks of what I found:

http://jfbpix.blogspot.com/

Now, I'm going to swap everything over to the new CCR engine.. but aren't there some things such as timing, top dead center, etc I need to pay attention to when I put on the distributor?? Any tips regarding swapping out the flywheel? I've got a new clutch to install too...

Basically, if anyone feels there something I need to know at this point, please let me know now...

:rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, remove the plugs so you can turn the engine over by hand, get number 1 cylinder at top dead center, drop in the disty with the rotor at the number one cylinder terminal on the cap. A trick is to put the cap on the disty, mark on the distributor body where the #1 terminal is so you can see the point without the cap on. As you lower the disty in the block, the rotor will turn due to the angle of the gear teath, so you need to start a bit off the spot so it turns into it as you lower the disty. It may take a few tries, but you'll get it. if it will not run correctly, you may have to remove the disty and turn it 180 degrees. This only happens if you get #1 at TDC on the ehaust stroke, instead of the compression stroke I think theres a mark on the flywheel to confirm TDC.

This will get you in the ball park untill you fire it up, warm it up, and set the timing with a timing light.

Good luck.