Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is my head gasket cracked?

I think my head gasket may have a crack in it, but i'm not sure. There is no coolant in the oil, I have looked closely several times. I also have not seen any white smoke come out of my exhaust or anything. I am loosing coolant internally, I have located a small pool of antifreeze on the midsection of the drivers side of the engine. The check engine light just came on today, but runs completly fine. What are your thoughts of anything else it could be? I have a 00 OBW with about 140,000 on her.

Has she overheated? I would go to the sub dealer and get the coolant conditioner :confused:

She overheated one time and i pulled over immediatly as the temp. was rising. I refilled the radiator and haven't had any temperature issues since. I check the levels every time I drive anwhere, and it definetly leaks some, but I keep a gallon of 50/50 in my car and top it off. I'm concerned about the check engine light, which could be related to something completely different. The car runs fine. Any ideas?

Do you have bubbles in the radiator or over flow tank when at operating tempature?

If there is no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant and no bubbles in the raddiator or over flow tank I would be checking else where. Like hoses, water pump by pass, heater hoses ect:

you need to get the codes read to tell you why the CEL came on.

i would probably have the Subaru coolant conditioner put in your vehicle, has it ever been added before that you know of?

can you post a picture of the leaking area? are you sure there's no hoses above it that are possibly leaking? heater core hoses/clamps are possibilities. with very small cracks, that tend to occur around the clamps, they can leak randomly depending on termperatures and engine torquing/movements. this probably isn't the case, but best to check and rule out simple parts that cost a few dollars in order to save your engine/headgasket which can mean hundreds/thousands in repairs.

As per your post, if you find antifreeze pooling on the outside of the engine, why do you think your leak is internal? The 00 models are prone to external HG failure right at the area you describe and SOA extended the warranty to 100,000 miles and 8 years (did you get a notice?) IF you allowed them to put a conditioner (some sort of stop leak) in the coolant. Get the codes cleared quietly, have the conditioner added and then go back and let them determine if the HGs are failing. Is the 140,000 mileage you quote in miles or kilometers?

I think my head gasket may have a crack in it, but i'm not sure. There is no coolant in the oil, I have looked closely several times. I also have not seen any white smoke come out of my exhaust or anything. I am loosing coolant internally, I have located a small pool of antifreeze on the midsection of the drivers side of the engine. The check engine light just came on today, but runs completly fine. What are your thoughts of anything else it could be? I have a 00 OBW with about 140,000 on her.