Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Frame damage

I just did the same thing...... just it was a 6ft wide 10" deep pot hole. totaly unavoidable. What side is it again? sorry Im pretty sure i have what you need on my parts car.

My report.

I hit a pot hole at 35 trashing 2 of 4 13" enkis. Pushing in the strut rod back, bending (im still not sure what) the frame some where. Killed the lower ball joint and throwing the alighnment all outa wack. Took it to schwab and got to b/s with the guy while he attempted to align it. -You didnt really give much info about what is actually messed up and/or how far outa spec/alignment in actually is.-

My camber was within spec on all 4,

my toe was fine on all but pass front which was out by about .2 or .3 pos

my caster was fine on all 4 but pass front which was out by .9 (actual measurement .6)

The problem with this car is caster isnt adjustable. Asuming my strut rod was bent I pulled them off both parts car and my car. Both measured the same. Knowing I need to come forward with the control arm by .9 a degree. I shim right between the fixed part ON THE STRUT ROD and bushing. I shimmed it with about ( I havent measured it yet) just under 1/4" washer. When i took it in for an alignment today I changed the caster ( and just to save money took up the .2/.3deg of pos toe on pass side). from .6 to 1.1 the desired caster is 1.5.

So in conclusion. I have a few options just not sure what to do. I can A, continue to shim. B, make new bushings that compensate for the .9 degree. Or C, make adjustable strut rods. But 1 thing, the car is very drivable and tolerable with everthing in alighnment except the caster being out by.4. The torque steer (due to 2wd push button 4wd) is noticably greater than perfect and pulls to the right on a crowned road at 65+. ANY BASES NOT COVERD OR TIPS TO HELP MY DRAMA!!! Thanks Jess :lol:

I will post a pic soon, but I have already replaced everything that was broken except the engine cross member. I will post some pics from under the frame. The cross member was bent inward an inch or less and the place where the sway bar mounts was bent in the same direction. I should measure it when I get it home this week, until then I cant start on it.

Well... I mean that I saw -and I worked too- the most unbelievable repairs in Crashed / Damaged cars; so, postin` a pic or two of the Damage, will help to determine if it`s possible to Fix or not... if you wanna know...

Almost anythin` is Possible...

:headbang: