Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing an EA82 transmission: Drop it out?

I'm pulling parts from the blown 'GL tomorrow, and I realized I have no idea on the best way to get a transmission out of an EA82 with normal jacks/jackstands/etc. Is putting the car up on jackstands, disconnecting everything, and dropping it out the easiest way?

Also, how far does the engine have to be disconnected/moved to get the transmission free? Can I do it with the engine still more or less bolted in?

Thanks! I may try to take pictures for those who have to do it in the future.

-=Russ=-

Put all 4 corners on jack stands and unbolt it. Ideally get it high enough that you can place some layers of carpet or foam under the tranny and just let it drop out on the soft surface.

Pull the pitching stopper - that will allow the tranny and engine to pitch backward and slide out.

Basically you will get very, very dirty and bruised up, but it can be done. Just get it HIGH - as high as you can. I have used concrete pavers to raise the jack stands for more height. Don't use cinder block as it can disitigrate easily.

GD

I have used concrete pavers to raise the jack stands for more height. Don't use cinder block as it can disitigrate easily.

GD

Wood blocks work as well, but as he said, cinder blocks are NOT safe. That being said, I *have* done a fair amount of work in my driveway (not garage at my house, the "shop" is 15 miles away) using cinder blocks as stands.. BUT IT MUST BE DONE WITH AT LEAST HALF A BRAIN CELL!!!! the ONLY way it will even HOLD the weight for a MOMENT is to set the cinder block as it would be built into a wall (with the holes pointing up and down, so as to be filled with concrete) and then put a piece of 2x8 on top of it, TOTALLY covering the cinder block! The wood distirbutes the weight around the perimeter of the cinderblock. Your safety level (already low to begin with) drops proportionately to how thin that piece of wood is. Plywood is NOT an option. Many might think to turn the cinderblock on its side, but it would just totally crush under the weight.

Now, all that being said.. anyone got a pair of cheap jackstands? :brow:

Wood blocks work as well, but as he said, cinder blocks are NOT safe. That being said, I *have* done a fair amount of work in my driveway (not garage at my house, the "shop" is 15 miles away) using cinder blocks as stands.. BUT IT MUST BE DONE WITH AT LEAST HALF A BRAIN CELL!!!! the ONLY way it will even HOLD the weight for a MOMENT is to set the cinder block as it would be built into a wall (with the holes pointing up and down, so as to be filled with concrete) and then put a piece of 2x8 on top of it, TOTALLY covering the cinder block! The wood distirbutes the weight around the perimeter of the cinderblock.

I've done that too - but I didn't sugest it for fear of someone being injured or killed. They can be very strong if used properly in the structural fashion they were designed for.

anyone got a pair of cheap jackstands? :brow:

Harbor freight - about $10 - $20.

GD

Ok. And pulling the driveshaft & halfshafts is pretty straightforward? I've done a halfshaft before, and had to unbolt a good bit of the suspension to get clearance to pull it out - if the transmission is loose & I don't care about the halfshafts, is it easier?

-=Russ=-

Ok. And pulling the driveshaft & halfshafts is pretty straightforward? I've done a halfshaft before, and had to unbolt a good bit of the suspension to get clearance to pull it out - if the transmission is loose & I don't care about the halfshafts, is it easier?

-=Russ=-

Halfshafts - sway bar link, and lower control arm bolt is all you need to disconnect.

Driveshaft drops out once you lower the center carrier bearing.

GD