Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 96 Leg OB. There is a consistent noise slowly getting louder over time coming form front chassis/wheels. Kind of an oscillating humming noise you can hear and feel through car frame. Gets louder going around turns and the harder the turn the louder the noise. Almost not noticeable when not turning but there.

Does this sound like front wheel bearings going bad?

I have a 96 Leg OB. There is a consistent noise slowly getting louder over time coming form front chassis/wheels. Kind of an oscillating humming noise you can hear and feel through car frame. Gets louder going around turns and the harder the turn the louder the noise. Almost not noticeable when not turning but there.

Does this sound like front wheel bearings going bad?

Sounds Like cv joint on drive axle. Can you tell which side?

how many miles? how long has it been doing this?

it sounds to me like a CV joint but you shouldn't be able to "feel" them until they get really bad. look at the axle where it attaches behind the wheel. it has a rubber boot on each end. the one right behind the tire is only visible by getting on the ground and looking behind the wheel. the inner boot is more centrally located and can be seen by popping the hood as well. i'd suspect the one behind the wheel though. you're looking for a crack in the boot and there should be grease everywhere too. if it just started doing this - then it's not likely to be the CV axle. if it's been doing it for awhile and getting worse then maybe.

do you feel it when turning both directions (right and left)?

ball joints will also cause bad vibrations and noises going around turns.

since the axles are easy to make a visual check on, do that first and post back.

to check wheel bearings though you can jack the car up and see if the wheel has much play in it by grabbing it and trying to "shake" it so to speak.