Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Adhesion to engine surface question??

just reading the Royal Purple website ...they say, their oil "tenaciously" adheres to engine surfaces, thus reducing wear at start-ups etc...I was wondering if anyone knows if this claim is a by-product of all good synthetic oils like for ex. shell 5/40 or a special feature of the royal purple products

The oil royal purple(which I use right now)I have found first hand to be a little easier on my engines at start up.In the past I have used Mobil 1 and could see a difference in engine noise at start up right away.The one additive that royal purple has in it is:synerlec.Which I have been told helps adhere to engine parts.Beyond that I don't know.

All oils do this, be it motor oil, gun oil or cooking oil. Its a property of oil.

nipper

Well, yes, but...

Engine oils contain additives that are long chain molecules with IIRC a sulfur atom at one end that will adhere to a metal surface rather strongly (typically needs temperature to do this). The effect is that the engine surface gets a surface coat similar to a plush-pile rug. The stronger the bond (and I think the longer/stronger the chain) the better boundary protection it offers. It could be inferred that a better oil has a better additive for this function.