Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help diagnosing problem on ea-81

Ok heres the deal.....

84 4wd wagon.

It sometimes hesitates in the lower rpms from idle to about 2 grand. While it does this the engine shakes and stumbles but it hasn't ever died, the whole car shakes when this is happening. It does it in gear and when just idling. Then just as suddenly as it was shaking and sputtering, it will go away and run fine sometimes for a couple days. It doesn't do it in the upper rpms. It feels like its missing or running on one less cylinder maybe. I looked under the hood to check to make sure the spark plug wires were all connected tight but besides that I'm hopeing you guys have some suggestions.

Man I hope its the fuel filters. I replaced the one under the hood maybe 10K ago but the one under the car has been in there 30K, so I should replace them both? I won't be able to get under the car for a few days so we'll see.

If it turns out to be the carb what are my options? I know you guys like to throw webers on to replace the hitachi but will it still pass emitions? What sort of price range am I looking at for a weber? Do you guys ever just get your Hitachis rebuilt? I don't really know much about carbs so any info you can give me would be great.

... What sort of price range am I looking at for a weber? ...

Well... a Used Weber will be Cheaper than a Brand New one, but if you wanna Try, visit:

I got mine There, And people there are so Kind. Now the car Drives & Feels better than New.

For EA81, the Redline/Weber kit, should be the K730 (Single Plate Adapter) My EA82 got the K731 (Two Plates Adapter) ´cos EA82 Intake´s Larger.

Emmissions? well... Here aren´t much control about... Maybe they can Pass, with extra Stuff, but I really don´t know much about... Maybe here someone else can Help you...

Good Luck! :)