Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So my '95 legacy is sitting in the parking lot at work and I've lost the keys. Yeah I could go to the dealer and have them make a set from the VIN, but what fun would that be (too late anyway, I've already cut wires)

So I have the column exposed. I bridged the top and bottom wires and the car functioned like the switch was at the ON position. So I think to myself, those are the ones. so to make it semi-permanant, I cut the wire and tape it to other one. I blow a fuse in the process because I hit the knife on the column. I replace the fuse, but now nothing happens when I touch the two wires together.

Any idea of what happened when I blew the fuse? I was so close to getting it going :(

Just a guess but you probably toasted the main fusible link

(fuse box under the bonnet behind the battery)

Must be checked with a multimeter.

How are you planning on disabling the steering lock?

Hope this helps

fix the fuse link and put the wires back where they belong.

once the column is exposed ther is a tiny screw that hold the electric ignition swicth on to the mechanical ignition lock/keyway thing. it's located on the left end of the ignition assembly. undo the screw and use a screwdriver to rotate the switch, careful, there may not be a spring return from start to on, can't remember. you don't want to destroy your starter.

but skip is right, how are you going to over come the steering lock. given time and patience you can remove the 2 or 4 security snap bolts that hold on the ignition lock assembly. you have to use a hammer and chisel to slowly back them out.

did you try some one else's subaru key or may be an old nissan key, (90 nissan = 95-99 subaru, at the least, maybe more.) they buy from the same supplier.