Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yesterday When I was switching starters in my 96 leg. I noticed that the mechanic that worked on my car only tightened 4 out of the 6 bolts on the drivers side intake,:mad: two of them were tight but it looked like he just set the others in and only had them in there a turn or two.

Since Ive gotten the car back the cel has been on Im not sure if that had to do with the starter or the intake but I tightened the bolts and replaced the starter and no more cel.

It didnt get driven much maybe 50 or so miles before I noticed it. But could that cause problems? and is there anything I should keep my eye on??

I cant imagine that could be too good for an engine.

Jason

Yeah. Keep your eye on the mechanic!

:grin: Well actually I think Im gonna find someone else to work on it if there is a problem I dont feel confident doing myself. A good friend of mind refered me to him and said he has always done a good job on anything he has sent him but that has definetely not been my experience with him.

If it was sucking in air around the loose intake that could cause a CEL/MIL. If the vehicle uses a MAF sensor that air was unmetered. Depending on where it was sucking air it could have been causing some cylinders to run rich and others lean; maybe the CEL/MIL was for fuel trim or something.

Since Ive gotten the car back the cel has been on Im not sure if that had to do with the starter or the intake but I tightened the bolts and replaced the starter and no more cel.

Well, Sorry but your starter is stupid. Ok, everyone's starter is stupid. There is no way for the starter to cause the CEL to come on. It only has two wires to it. One from the battery, and one from the key. Nothing in there to tell the ECU something is wrong, so your CEL was because of the loose intake bolts.

Keith