Ultimate Subaru Message Board

shorting drive line

Hey65 This is Jerry, if you are installing a 5 speed dual range tranny into a EA81 hatch back then you will have to get the drive line lenghten. It takes 48 inches of new tubing not counting the ends. Your stock drive line is to short, the 5 speed is shorter than the 4 speed. Thanks Jerry

Oh wow I thought it was shorting, well good to know. I guess a few calls to some drive line places to get some prices.

so which part do you lengthen, the front part or the rear part.

Hey65 This is Jerry, if you are installing a 5 speed dual range tranny into a EA81 hatch back then you will have to get the drive line lenghten. It takes 48 inches of new tubing not counting the ends. Your stock drive line is to short, the 5 speed is shorter than the 4 speed. Thanks Jerry

oh thats good to know. is that because it has a shorter wheel base and the two-piece drive line isn't needed

dude so if all goes well i may be moving all the stuff from the wagon to a hatch.

I have to say it wouldn't be a hard decision to do, i have wanted one of the hatches as long as I can remember. we're talking me being a kid and seeing ads for them, that long ago.

I'd take my 5speed DR, rear discs, and do the spfi swap on it.

So i could be rocking a hatch soon, so cross your fingers.

EA81's have a single peice driveline, so you just lengthen the original. No need to use the two-peice.

GD

EA81's never had two-peice drivelines. That was an EA82 thing. Your's already has the two peice because someone put in a 5 speed. As does my Brat. But no EA81 (hatch or otherwise) came with a 2 peice stock.

The Hatch is the only EA series soob that has a different wheelbase. It's shorter making the stock single peice too short for a 5 speed, and the EA82 two-peice too long. I've never tried an EA81 (non hatch) single peice against a hatch with a 5 speed, but I suspect it will be just a tad too long or short. So that if you want a 5 with Hatch, it's custom driveline time.

Good times on the Hatch. They are fun.

GD

so then i wonder if you got a wagon drive line and maybe just had it shortened, hmmmm maybe, well we will see, when and if i ever make it to that point. I also figure shortening has to be cheaper then remaking.

you wouldn't happen to have a wagon or brat drive line laying around i could test that idea with do you

Oh well never mind then.

But I am now an owner of an 86 4x4 gl hatch. Sure it doesn't run but that's half the fun. Figure I'll strip the carb crap off and start with the spfi swap and go from there. well and if all is sh*t i have the motor from the wagon.

Yeah - I think I have some normal EA81 drivelines. But it's not going to be cheaper. They aren't going to reuse the tubing. They will use new tubing and balance it properly, etc. Seems the going rate is around $100 to $150.

GD