Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there a idle switch on my car?

The idle switch is incorporated into the TPS.

Readjust the idle switch/TPS using these instructions. If you still have the code/issue, check the wiring and/or replace the TPS. If you replace the TPS, you need to adjust/calibrate the new one using these same instructions.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/TPS_testing3.jpg

Carb cleaner , down the throat .

Shake or NO shake ?

Carb cleaner is probably not the best choice. I personally use SeaFoam Deep Creep that comes in an aerosol can.

Down the throat of what? The IAC or the throttle body. If you are cleaning the throttle body then I can understand why you have had little luck. I have heard of others cleaning the throttle body and it being messed up after that. But since the throttle body isn't the problem when it comes to Idle Control Malfunctions, there is NOT any reason to try and clean it.

I know that the general consensus on this board is to NEVER clean the IAC. But since the proceedure to do it is right there in the Factory Service Manual, and it in fact works (100% of the time for me) I see no reason not to.

Well the FSM does over complicate it.

Basicly you:

85_Hatch.jpg

Then start the engine, spray in the cleaner of your choice, and opperate the throttle buy hand to keep the engine from dieing. Simple.:)

That is a can of WD40, which would probably work. But like I said, I use Sea Foam Deep Creep. Carb and brake cleaner have a tendency to melt plastic so I don't recommend, as the air doors inside the IAC are plastic.

Did the trick with the Deep Creep.

Much better idle when warm , but still a really bad cold start.

I have to try and start it like 2-3 times before itll finally hold a idle and then it usually sits at like 200rpm and slowly climbs to 800rpm before finally holding a consistant idle.

Starts and idles just fine when its at operating temp.

I reset the ECU so well see if we get any CEL's.