Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what engines fit gen 1 brats

with the xt6 parts i am getting, it comes with the xt's crossmember. i am going to cut thet up to modify the ea81 crossmember, and do the ea82 lower control arm conversion like i did the trashwagon. i will put the xt6 stuff on my gl-10 turbo spfi carb wagon, and use the leftovers for the brat build.

after its all said and done, i have a spare ea82 motor to throw in there and get it to fit. but all i have is the 4spd 4x4 tranny for the brat, but the 4wd s/r is coming out of the wagon, i can try to fit that in the brat also.

who out there has 5spds in the gen 1 brat. pay attention 78turbo brat, i will let you know how the 5 spd wants to go in!

if the ea81 does indeed fit(with framerail mods) i know who has a complete turbo motor with ecu and all the goodies!!!:wave:

if he will come off it..............:brow:

• 1 year later...
My feeling is that a built EA81 can match and even exceed the HP of the EA82 Turbo in stock form, so unless you intend to try and get more HP from the EA82T, A built EA81 without the trouble of the turbo or wiring and such would be the best choice.

And if you do want to go turbo, then the trouble to put the EA82T in is nearly as much trouble as putting in the EJ22T. In fact - the EJ22T is smaller, and should fit better than the EA82T. Plus you get the AWD drivetrain - nice for a street only car.

GD

hahahaa remember this guy

This thread is a blast from the past. Who was the newbie that asked such an open ended question????

how hard is it yto get the 5spd d/r into a gen 2 brat? what needs to be done?

I don't know about gen 2 but on my gen 1 putting in a 5spd EA82 series tranny was just a matter of fabricating some new tranny x-member mounts and pretty simple mods to the shift linkage. In my swap, I had to move the engine maybe 3/4" forward as well as cut and refab my frame rails to clear the valve covers....

It was a PITA but totally doable for me (and worth it!!!)

might be easier with Gen 2, I don't know....

Bring the stuff out to Oregon and we'll "GET ER DONE!!"

garner

who you calling a newbie?

im not new, just inexperienced.

the only problem i have about doing this is that i dont even have the brat yet, nor a welder. nor do i have any way to get a vehicle across the country.

at least i have a doner car to pull parts off of when i get the brat im after.

i just gotta find a way to convince everyone around me that a brat is a good idea. too many doubters and non beleivers.

as for the transmission, will i need any kind of adaptor to bolt it to the engine? and what about the axles, seeing as it is out of a turbo car.

This thread is a blast from the past. Who was the newbie that asked such an open ended question????

I don't know about gen 2 but on my gen 1 putting in a 5spd EA82 series tranny was just a matter of fabricating some new tranny x-member mounts and pretty simple mods to the shift linkage. In my swap, I had to move the engine maybe 3/4" forward as well as cut and refab my frame rails to clear the valve covers....

It was a PITA but totally doable for me (and worth it!!!)

might be easier with Gen 2, I don't know....

Bring the stuff out to Oregon and we'll "GET ER DONE!!"

garner