Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Impreza 5sp/awd have a few questions

Hi I just purchased a 1995 Impreza with 147k. I have a few questions about maintenance items and help fixing the rear windshield washer motor. The previous owner stated that the timing belt was replaced about 20k ago. I did not get any maitenance records from him.

The maintenance items that I have questions about are as follows:

1. Do the front & rear wheel bearings have to be repacked or are they sealed? It seems that when in gear the car will not roll down the driveway at

all without giving it a lot of gas. Is this ok and because the car is awd?

2. Is the clutch self adjusting?

The only thing on the car that does not work is the rear windshield washer motor. Is this a common problem with this car? Does anyone know if there are any fuses that I can check. I have the owners manual and it does not show any fuses for the washer motor.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated regarding these questions.

Thanks

The wheel bearings are sealed. The problem you described with the car not rolling would seem to have more to do with the brakes than the bearings. Bad wheel bearings will make a sort of roaring sound at speed when they go bad. You may have a stuck parking brake or you may have to lubricate the caliper slides to solve that problem.

The clutch is a cable type, not self adjusting. It can be adjusted quickly and easily right under the hood. The lock nut is 10mm and the adjusting nut is 12mm if I remember right.

My rear wiper was not working when I bought my wagon and it turned out to be the wiring harness between the hatch and the body got pinched and had to be redone. I have seen other people on this board with the same problem, you should check this out first. The harness is inside a rubber boot that fits between the hatch and body on the passenger side of the car.

The '95 motor is non-interference, so the timing belt is not as much of a critical issue.

• 3 years later...

i had the same kinda issue where it didnt wanna go. i had just drove it around the block and it made a wierd noise so i brought it back in the shop and the axel nut was lose so i smacked it down then it wouldnt go. so if the previous owner tried to make up for bad wheel bearings by smacking down the axel nuts that could be the issue. but its a lot more likely its breaks. im gettin ready to look into the rear washer not working on my gfs car so if i find anything interesting i will let you know

+1 on the clutch adjustment.

+1 on the wiring leading to the wiper motor. Usually breaks around the hinge joint where the cable is flexed everytime you open and close the hatch. PITA to fix.

Don't worry too much about the timing belt for now since you have a non-interference engine. But inspect the belt sometime when you have a chance.