Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do you tell if only your oil ring is broken, and the compression rings are fine?

I've got loads of oil going through #3 cyl on my EJ22, there's a layer going down the intake from the PCV to the head, the valves are wet with oil, but not carbon caked on the back of the intake valves. I'm wondering if mabe my oil ring broke.

I replaced the PCV valve with an OEM one recently, and it didn't help the oil conusmption.

I rebuilt the engine last year, I may have screwed up a few things, I put one of the valve springs on backwards, and that valve is now a burned POS. I was careful putting in the pistons, but one of the oil rails may have cracked.

You need to do a wet dry compression test. Even though the oil rings are not compression rings, if the ring broke there can be more wear on that cylinder and lower compression. Another way to tell is to pull the plug and inspect it to see what it looks like. Even something as simple as a broken oil ring can cause a connecting rod issue. It can put the piston at a slight angle and put side forces on the connecting rod bearing.

You may also have a stuck piston ring. Did you check the end gap of the piston rings and make sure that the gaps were offset from each other ?

nipper

I burned a valve on that cyl... so no compression wet or dry. I now have the head off. There's some scratches in the cyl wall, but I don't know if they're from bits of valve or a broken ring.

I don't really want to pull the engine to get in to the wristpin. If it was the #1 cyl, I'd have it out in a flash.