Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Here's an update for those interested. The Forester had its engine (ej25 sohc)

rebuilt last month, moreover it has had fluid leaks ever since. Despite a new oil pan and seal it has continued. More disturbing though, the engine has developed the cold start up knock their so famous for. Anhow it has now been back at the shop for the past two weeks; So far this shop has been very kind and agreed to take out the engine and send it back to the machine shop for another rebuild, and they think maybe it needs a crank seal or the seal between the block. Under warranty ofcourse.

This entire thing is somewhat disappointing considering I spent upwards of 5K!

I live here in the midwest and who knows what next weeks weather will be, so I am a little bummed :-\

I am currious to know what their remedy will be for the knock, and will inform all here when I get it back.

I spent more then that, but i am very very very happy with my rebuild. i also had some extra things done.

I am getting a bad feeling about your rebuild. Things like why was the engine sent out to a machine shop.....

nipper

I wish in hindsight I would have gone to the dealer on this one, and simply had a new short block put in.

I knew from the begining the engine would be sent out, because my shop does not rebuild engines. The machine shop rebuilt the engine and I am told this is comparable to CCR- New pistons, gaskets, etc, replacement of anything not within factory tolerances.

If it runs good this time around I will be satisfied, though, I certainly won't have major work done this way again.

I called today, and was informed that the engine," had a leaking rear main seal."

Furthermore the shop owner mentioned in regards to the cold start up knock, it was not possible to bore the engine any farther, as it was already close to its maximum tolerance, moreover, he said that four new slightly larger pistons had been ordered from Subaru.:banghead:

Looks like next week before I get it back.