Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to look out for:1999 Brighton Wagon

I'm going to look at puchasing a 1999 Brighton Wagon SE, 2.2L, auto, air, cruise, p.m.,p.w., with 165000 kms on it. What things should I be inspecting, or make sure the independent mechanical inspection covers? The more detail the better. One thing I know is: routine maintenance records are important. The car is in northern Ont., Canada. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks. :burnout:

I'm going to look at puchasing a 1999 Brighton wagon, 2.2L, auto, air, cruise, p.m.,p.w., with 165000 kms on it. What things should I be inspecting, or make sure the independent mechanical inspection covers? The more detail the better. One thing I know is: routine maintenance records are important. The car is in northern Ont., Canada. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks. :burnout:

be sure to look at the fluid levels, leaks, check out the transmission fluid and make sure its red, not brown, or smelling burnt. Look around the vehicle for rust,and such. Inspect all the CVD's for broken boot. But its a good suggestion to bring the car to a mechanic to inspect the vehicle. There is much more, like make sure there is no CEL(Check Engine Light) or trans oil temp light, and make sure the car does not over heat at all. Also ask for records of timing belt change,and/or oil changes or repairs, and be sure to do a VIN number check.

i guess the original owner could have bought optional power options, but in the US i thought the brighton had no power options except power steering. your car sounds more like a legacy L; but then i'm not terribly familiar with the 99MY and much less so with the canadian market.

does it have a tachometer?

read this thread.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69202

john

I'm going to look at puchasing a 1999 Brighton wagon, 2.2L, auto, air, cruise, p.m.,p.w., with 165000 kms on it. What things should I be inspecting, or make sure the independent mechanical inspection covers? The more detail the better. One thing I know is: routine maintenance records are important. The car is in northern Ont., Canada. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks. :burnout:

:banana:Thanks for all the advice guys, and to this Subaru site. I purchased the Brighton Wagon, after a test drive and an inspection by Subaru of Sudbury. They said it was solid and looked good in all of the right places.They let me go into the service bay to see the underside of the car too.So now I'm the proud owner of a Subaru. :clap:Hopefully I'm not on here too often trying to figure out how to fix things. I'm off, I have a manual to read!

congratulations and welcome to the party!!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

:burnout:

:banana:Thanks for all the advice guys, and to this Subaru site. I purchased the Brighton Wagon, after a test drive and an inspection by Subaru of Sudbury. They said it was solid and looked good in all of the right places.They let me go into the service bay to see the underside of the car too.So now I'm the proud owner of a Subaru. :clap:Hopefully I'm not on hear too often trying to figure out how to fix things. I'm off, I have a manual to read!

Well, I picked her up this afternoon. She ran like a charm from Sudbury to Muskoka (2.75 hrs.) and I couldn't be happier!:banana: I love this car!:clap:Off to the dealer to get a couple of things looked after. The oil pump gasket has a small leak so I figure I'll get the timing belt done, water pump and oil gasket and seals. Then I should be good to go another 100,000kms at least.(knock on wood). Anything else I should consider getting done? :burnout: