Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I added a clutch fan and look what it does!

=

I just had to add something silly today.... :)

This goofy thought was brought about in my 87GL- it rattles my apt windows, and bellows a bass noise a pyle driver rockford fosgate combo won't ever get 90hp out of. I simply added a glasspack. There is another one in my neighborhood (an 87 raised roof). I hear it coming minutes away, and it very much sounds like an old slow rpm airplane rumbling by- "The 3 degree carb cams" is the only way, no doubts about it. :grin:

its a link of an old p51 mustang (WWII prop fighter plane) doing an ABSURDLY LOW flyby.. really cool, if you ask me.

Clutch fans sound godawful, yah... Kinda like a prop plane on a low-level flyby.. :grin:

Love those P51's.One of the coolest low level high speed passes I have seen was by a gee bee r1 replica that flew inverted over the tarmac!:headbang:

Those planes are an incredible sound indeed. I saw one fly around here at a local air show with chuck yeager as the pilot, after launching it with the various hand signals (I was a crew chief). I explained it with the slow guts of the engine doing big things, 1800rpm or so for several hundred miles an hour. Left me smiling like a down syndrome child (no offense of course) to the point of slightly giddy..

My kind of engine, sure as hell the opposite of ricers and even alot of v8s to this day when it comes to rpms and power. The old soobs have it,(low rpms and content about it) being less friction etc. 1781cc 3 main boxer does more than we may never see again.
:confused:

The clutch fan on the carb models really gets it going, I am associating it with tight full cams, the fan knows the engine is maximized, and reacts. It seems a bit of a power sucker until the benefit of how cool and efficient that extra air is giving hard working cylinders to make up for it. Gives the whole engine a slightly bigger world. A nice combo.
:)
My other 87 went without a fan so long, the idle times and heat attacked the back edge of the hood with no fan. I have always wanted one on my carb model, glad I put one on this one, not a regret to be found.