Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head Gasket Repair Costs, Denver

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to check in and ask whether $2100 for a head gasket job on a 98 Legacy 2.5GT auto w/ 130k in Denver, CO (at S-Wing Stuff) is reasonable. This price includes a 1 year, 12k warranty on the work and a new timing belt, water pump, and I believe new plug wires.

To me it seems a bit high, but the shop is reputable and I want the work done right.

If anyone is interested I would be happy to report back what work they did and anything else interesting.

Thanks for all the previous help -- you guys are the absolute best!

$2,100 is high, but what all are they replacing? a "head gasket job" can vary wildly depending on what all they replace. are they doing the clutch while the engine is out (typical on a high mileage manual trans)? that would add a significant amount.

going rate is about $1,500 around these parts, $1,200 - $1,600 from most board members. you'll want to make sure price includes a new water pump

In the Fall of '05 I was quoted about $1500 at Strictly Automotive, down at 10th and Santa Fe. I think that also came with a 1 year warranty but it may have been 6 months, not sure.

It turned out my HG was fine but I then had my timing belt and water pump replaced there in February of 06. Total cost was just a hair under $1000, as they had to replace several of the T-belt pulleys, too.

I've never heard of a comparo between the various independent Subie shops in the Denver area. I think the ones that have been in business the longest have the most to lose, reputation-wise.

Thanks for the quick replies!

First, the "head gasket job" from S - Wing Stuff (303.777.8658) includes a CO2 diagnostic, replacement of the head gaskets, new plug wires, water pump, cam seals, "boring" the radiator (I think), the 1 year warranty, and all the labor. Oh yeah, and they offered a loaner car for the time they had the car.

Second, I too called Strictly. They quoted me $1500 for the head gasket work only, and an additional $600 for the plug wires, spark plug, and water pump. So they priced out at $2100 too.

Third, I called Roos Only and they quoted $1700 for head gasket work, including work on the radiator, and cam seals, but no water pump.

Fourth, Comprehensive Car Car (on Evans, near DU) quoted me $1600 only for the head gasket work with no additionals included.

I tried to do a thorough search of the main independent Subie shops in the Denver area to price their head gasket costs, but, as I'm sure you can all tell, I didn't get down the full extent of each repair in each case. Sorry about that!

Anyway, I think i will bite the bullet and get the work done at S-Wing Stuff. I will report back about what was done and the total cost, . . . maybe someone will find this info helpful.

Thanks again for the comments.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Anyway, I think i will bite the bullet and get the work done at S-Wing Stuff. I will report back about what was done and the total cost, . . . maybe someone will find this info helpful.

Thanks again for the comments.

You know, we should have someplace on the forum where we can keep this kind of institutional knowledge alive. It would certainly be worth it to new members who come in here with questions or issues. Maybe it could be something like a general "Subuaru Repair and Service experiences, Good, Bad and Ugly" or something of that nature.

I, for one, would be interested in knowing the different experiences of other Subie owners in the Denver area, since we have so many independent Subie shops here.

there's a product review forum, i suppose you can try that or ask a mod if that's an appropriate place for that kind of information.

at $2,100, i think you might even be approaching the point where a brand new motor from CCR would be very close to that in price. and they're local as well.

there's a product review forum, i suppose you can try that or ask a mod if that's an appropriate place for that kind of information.

at $2,100, i think you might even be approaching the point where a brand new motor from CCR would be very close to that in price. and they're local as well.

Ya your point on ccr is a good one.May be just as good depending on what mileage you are sitting at.I have been to S-Wings and can say they do know what they are doing and let me poke around their shop to check things out.You should be good either way you go.

CCR may be $3k, i don't know, he should price them out. 130,000 mile motor for $2,100 or a zero mile motor with a warranty for $3,000? i'd personally go the new engine route, you'd alleviate any concerns about cracked block, etc even though it's not likely in this case. AND - blown headgasket 2.5's sell for $500+, so you could come close to not paying much more at all. what's a couple hundred for a new motor, that's what i would do depending on the actual cost....but i could install the motor myself.

CCR doesn't install motors, they'll sell you whatever you want. so if he wanted a 1995 2.2 liter he could buy that (probably a good deal cheaper than a 2.5??) and install it as well. others have bought 2.2's from CCR to replace a 2.5 from CCR. they sell engines, it's up to you to decide what to do with them.

So, on eveyone's recommendation, I decided to go with the HG repair at S-Wing Stuff. The total cost was $2,500.00 as some additional work was performed on the car.

I chose the HG repair for two reasons: (1) cost and (2) my inexperience as a mechanic. At CCR a refurbished 2.2L engine is $1800; a refurbed 2.5L is $2900. The cost includes a 3 year or 36,000 mile warranty, but it is (reasonably) only on mechanical problems with the engine itself. As to cost, I spoke with a CCR rep on the phone (who was extremely knowledgable and helpful), he said that there is a delivery cost for the engine depending on where you want to have it installed. If I had the work done at S-Wing Stuff there is no delivery cost (also at Strictly, I believe) as CCR delivers there regularly. So there is the labor cost of installation, as well. The CCR rep also said that there is some kind of required conversion kit if I were to put the 2.2L engine in my 2.5L set up and I think he guessed that the kit by itself was about $300. I'm not sure what the conversion kit is, but it seemed reasonable that there would be some problems matching the engine with the rest of the car. These costs, coupled with my general mechanical inexperience led me to hand the car off and get it all fixed up.

So here is the list of prices and costs from my receipt:

The work was done on a 1998 Legacy 2.5GT auto with 130,000 miles named "Earl" who had been intermittedly overheating after an hour (or more) of driving. The work was finished 1/5/07 at S-Wings Stuff off Sante Fe.

Parts / Costs:

1 Engine Gasket Set: $260.95

1 Valve Cover Gasket: $150

1 Rod Radiator: $80

1 T/Stat Legacy: $13

1 Gallon of Antifreeze: $10

1 Water Pump Legacy: $97.68

4 Plugs: $75

5 Qts Oil: $14.50

1 Oil Filter: $9.50

1 Axle: $120

1 Tension w/ Pully: $158.02

2 Smooth Idler Pully: $132.86

1 Geared Idler Pully: $91.61

Discount: -$121.29

Total Parts Cost: $1091.83

Total Labor Costs: $1279.05

Supplies: $41.62

Tax: $87.50

Total Cost: $2500.00

Warranty: 1 year or 12,000 miles on all parts and labor.

S-Wings took 1.5 days to fix the car. They gave me a 1990 Legacy w/ 185k (Nice!) as a loaner while they worked.

Recommendation: I have to say that I am pretty impressed with S-Wing Stuff. The guys were nice and when I picked up the car, the guys hung out until 7:00 pm answering questions, discussing my car, and recommending what I need to do to get another 130,000 miles out of "Earl." They would probably be a good resource for other questions.

So there you have it; my pain-in-the-rump roast, uber expensive, HG repair. I hope this is helpful to people. I would love to have a discussion board for prices on work already done.

If anyone has any specific questions about the experience ask here or feel free to PM me.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help!