Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Imprezza heater core-New Box?

Yep, that's what I meant. I posed the same question to Jamie at subarugenuineparts, and she never alluded to it. She seems like a nice gal, answering all my senior questions and working with me to place an order for the heater core.:banana: Now that I know the system, I am sure I will be ordering more.

Jon

I don't believe you need a new plastic box....assuming that's what you meant.

Found out I do have to get a new box since Subaru superceded the old core number with a new one. Guess I will ask around the board if anyone either has a core ('93 Imprezza) or have used the "new" core with an "old" box.

Jon

God, I hate heater cores! Tearing the dash out is no fun at all. When I did mine I ended up having to do it twice. Long story.

Plus, the damn thing was 200 bucks! I could buy a radiator for that much.

For $200, I'd go digging through all the boxes of generic aftermarket heater cores the parts store would let me look at. There's gotta be SOMETHING that will roughly fit in the air box, and you can always add/remove piping as needed to get the coolant running.

(also, this is why you must ALWAYS use distilled water or premixed antifreeze! Tap water eats aluminum heater cores like nobody's business, and can also do bad things to 100% copper units).