Ultimate Subaru Message Board

smoke out exhaust

I just got new tires and some steering work on to my turbo 90 loyale. I picked it up from the shop today and the first few minutes it ran fine, as I went along I noticed excessive smoke from the axhaust, it was white. Eventually more and more smoke started pouring out until the engine started to loose power and get groggy. It died a few times on the way home and now takes a little while to start and runs like sh**** Before I took it to the shop it ran great. The engine has about 50,000 on it and ran amazing until today. It has a tick that I beleived was a lifter could this be letting oil through somehow? Also I was advised by someone to put some automatic tranny fluid in the oil to clean the engine and maybe help the lifter, I did this right before I took it to the shop and I put in a 1/4 quart or so, could this be causing the problem? I would be shocked if it was head gasket.

Thanks

Joe

White smoke is usually related to water. If its blue smoke then its burning oil.

But ATF is really thin, Ur probably burning off the ATF. Its not the best way to clear a stuck lifter. Ur far better off using an engine cleaner designed for that purpose. If ur burning off the ATF it should stop burning in a short time.

Oil is now tanish brown and fairly consistent, and the oil level is a bit high. It doesnt look like theres water cuz I think water has a white streaky look, am I right? How do I check the coolant with out draining the system? I will check the plugs and change the oil tonight and see how that works.

Well, as you said, oil might be whitish, it'll look like latte. Just take your radiator cap off, and if there is an oily film on the surface of the coolant, that is also a tell-tale sign of a bad head gasket. However, the gaskets can still be bad without having contaminated fluids.

If your oil is tan, like sand tan, verses black or transparent gold, then you have water(coolant) in the oil. If the oil level is high, and tan gooey, and the coolant is low, then you have a head gasket issue. Did the guys at the shop drive it around?

Also, if you drain the oil after letting it sit, it may seperate if theres any water in it. If it doesn't look like oil, there's a problem.

So when I took it for a ride it started to get hot, which it has never done since I oput the engine in the car 8 months ago. It has always run under half way and not once gotten hot, so it is most likely water in my oil. When the cooling system is full it runs horribly, it wouldnt even idle. As time went on it started to run better as it heated up, im guessing because there was less water in the cooling system coming through the engine. Besides head gasket or intake manifold, anything else can cause this.

sounds like the intake gasket is a prime possibility.. there is a spot where the gasket can blow that leaks water into the intake, producing white smoke.

Check your coolant levels, and add water ONLY when the engine is cold. Keep that sucker full, though.. as full as possible. change the gaskets immediately (if you determine that is the problem)

Why did this happen after tires and suspension work?? no clue. I may be wrong. but if you are overheating now, after suddenly blowing white smoke out the exhaust, chances are pretty good I am right. even if theres only 50K on the engine, unless it was brand new (read: not rebuiltm, shiny shiny brand new) you do NOT want to severely overheat it. 50,000 on a rebuild is not any sort of magical shield against blowing your headgaskets. 50,000 from the factory you may have a bit of safety margin.. but even that I would doubt. Just be careful is all I am saying.

And change your oil. It certainly cant hurt; and it will give you a good chance to let it settle out in like, a cat litter pan or something like that, so you can see if there is any water in it. The ATF has flushed through your engine anyhow, and should probably be replaced with good pure motor oil just to be cautious. I doubt thats the root of this problem, though.

sounds as much like an intake gasket going bad and blowing water into the fuel/air mixture as a headgasket.. to me, anyhow.

Drain your oil into an open pan like a cat pan, or something similar. Let it sit for a while, and look to see if there is any water in it.. pour it off slowly into another container, watching the strea.

Do you run water in your radiator, or antifreeze? if you run antifreeze, (or a mix) then you should be able to see the antifreeze in the oil even easier than water.

If there is no water in your oil, and your compression numbers are OK, and you are not hearing a bubbling from your radiator overflow, i dont think you have a headgasket problem. You might, headgaskets have blown before and exhibited none of these signs.. BUT eliminating ALL those symptoms reduces chances of HG and points towards intake manifold. The overflow bubbling would be caused by your blown HG allowing that cylinder to puch cylinder compression into the cooling system, overpressurizing it and forcing the cap open to allow coolant (or steam) to bubble into the overflow.

I bought this engine from a japanese import company. It was rated at 40 - 50 k original miles, compression and leak down tests, so this engine should be new. I put 15k on it and it has run perfect. Great oil pressure perfect temp, I didnt let the temp gauge get anywhere near the danger zone and still havent. A few things on my mind are............

The engine runs horribly when warmed and full of coolant(lots of water going through engine), means water may be fouling up the combustion stroke. Does this tell anything about where the water may be leaking through?

When I drove it last (and up until that last drive) the coolant level has stayed perfect for 6 to 7 months. When I picked it up from the shop, it started smoking, then I noticed power was lacking, then it didnt take more than 15 minutes for me to see the temp needle rising.

I am not in denial about my head gasket, I have done one before, it just seems really weird.

I hate to doom-and-gloom, and I am NOT the person whose words you want to live and die by... I just pointed a couple possibilities out. Try searching the forum, and looking at the bottom of this page under "Similar Threads." Any thread you click on while searching, also check the similar threads. You might find something helpful.

I'm just trying to find a nice way of saying I was giving you a couple ideas more than a "diagnosis," we can't ALWAYS do that via the internet yet :- ) Information helps, so the more data you can gather on your problem the better.. but I've said all i can really say..

if you want to do a quick a dirty check on the oil, hold a lighter under your dipstick (once you have removed it ofcourse ;)) if there is any water in the oil, it will sputter and crackle, if it's clean, you won't hear a thing (and might burn your fingers...)

and before you change your headgaskets, be sure to check the intake gaskets, I totally agree with daeron on that, those ***** leak for no particular reason and cause headgasket'like symptoms. Use OEM intake gaskets only btw.

Okay, Im loosing coolant, over heating, oil in coolant (coolant is merky brown) , water in oil( the oil looks like latte and there is traces of white goo around oil cap and on the dip stick), bubbles coming up the coolant run off tank, umm what else......... I am about 99 percent sure its head gasket, IM not even going to do a compression test I am just going to replace them, unless people think that I should do a compression test to make sure.

Thank

Joe