Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my hub is hot...

i just did my front wheel bearings on the passenger side. i took it for a test drive, and after about 5 miles i get out and check things and my hub is hot. like hot enough that you cant leave your finger on it for more than 2 or 3 seconds. more on the inside than the outside. much hotter than the driver side, which is only a bit warm. could this be a new bearing just working itself in? or am i pooched? im supposed to drive 6 hours tomorrow, and im stressing a bit.

you mean over tighten the castle nut? possibly. i cranked it to 150 ft lbs - didnt think you could over tighten a castle nut. washers are on proper. filled bearings with a non melt moly hi temp grease that says its good for wheel bearings on the side of the tube (cant remember the name right now).

you mean over tighten the castle nut? possibly. i cranked it to 150 ft lbs - didnt think you could over tighten a castle nut. washers are on proper. filled bearings with a non melt moly hi temp grease that says its good for wheel bearings on the side of the tube (cant remember the name right now).

Sounds all good. you dont have a brake dragging?

(and anyone can overtighten anything... the things I've seen :eek: )

nipper

theres a possibility that the inside bearing isnt fully seated...:banghead: I pulled the axle thru the hub, then had to take it out again, and the inside bearing came with it. i couldnt get the bearing off the shaft, so i just heated the crap out of the hub and put the whole thing back in. it went in easy, but maybe she didnt seat...