Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yet another problem with my '99 OBW. Recently, when starting my car, I have noticed a strong smell of exhaust. I don't smell it while in the car with the windows up, but if I have the windows down and back up...I catch a whiff. In addition to the smell, I frequently, on cold morning where the vapor is visible I see a hint of blue in the exhuast fumes. This leads me to believe that it is burning oil somewhere???

About 10,000 miles ago I had a leak in the crankshaft case. I had the seal replaced and my timing belt as well as a few other things fixed at the same time to save on labor costs later. Does anyone see a connection to this and my above problem? I don't recall or know if I had stinky exhaust before the leak. Any ideas on what the issue may be?

Sounds like another oil leak. Get under the car when you first start it in the morning, you should be able to see smoke come off of where. Plan b is to clean the under carrige of the car, then the next day look for the leak.

Thats the one problem with soobies. Any other car you have a leak your keeping the driveway fresh. Soobies it all ends up on the Y pipe.

nipper

I'll take a look when I first start it up in the morning...although it seems like the "smoke" is actually coming out of the exhaust pipe.

Sounds like another oil leak. Get under the car when you first start it in the morning, you should be able to see smoke come off of where. Plan b is to clean the under carrige of the car, then the next day look for the leak.

Thats the one problem with soobies. Any other car you have a leak your keeping the driveway fresh. Soobies it all ends up on the Y pipe.

nipper

Can you describe the smell of the exhaust, does it smell gassy or like oil? The blue tinge does indicate oil burnage but I've noticed a slight tinge with my car at start up when cold and can not find any leaks or usage problems between oil changes. I'm wondering if the car is running rich on colder mornings in response to the computer ( like the old chokes of the past) to assist in cold startup? In warm weather I get no smells or tinges.

John