Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AAMCO Update....Need A Little Help Plz.

The ongoing saga continues!

At the end of my last AAMCO post they were looking for the reason why the POWER light was still flashing after they had (claimed to) replaced the solenoids. This was on December 22.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69071

I hadn't heard from them for over 2 weeks, so I called on January 9 to find out what was going on. I was told they were looking for a TCU to replace mine because it was shorted out. The owner of AAMCO said that I had shorted out the TCU when I spliced the wiring connecting the solenoids within the valve body. HUH!!? I have never had the transmission out of my car, let alone hacking away at the wires within it. The owner had recalled that I stated, when I dropped the car off, that I mentioned I had to cut some wires on the transmission. What I was talking about at that time was that I had pulled 2 transmissions in the past and the engine to transmission wiring harness was very tough to disconnect and I had to cut the wires on one of them to get it apart. I was simply warning them that my wiring harness may be difficult to disconnect as well.

It seems very likely to me at this time that this was an attempt to pin the blame on me for the TCU "not working" and still flashing the codes, thus being able to charge me for more work done to find out this wiring problem. What he seems to have missed is that I picked up the solenoids several weeks ago, including the wiring connected to them, and there is no cut or splice on them!

The following is a photo of the valve body from a 4EAT transmission:

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=19180695&selected=

Can anyone tell me if there is more wiring within the transmission that connects to this harness, or does the harness connect to another on the outside of the transmission?

Does anyone have a spare TCU for a 1990-1991 Legacy AWD that they would sell?

I will have to find out the month my Legacy was manufactured as there are 3 different TCUs within the 1989-1991 period.

sigh...

I would never ever ever let these guys touch my car ever again even if i had to push it out the shop the first time. You weakend your case of thier being incompetant by going back.

I wish you luck

nipper

I didn't go back, the car never left their lot.

How do I find the date of manufacture for my Legacy? I stopped by AAMCO on my way home tonight and checked the sticker that is supposed to be on the door and it isn't there.

LOL, such a simple solution!

Anybody able to answer me about the wiring inside the valve body?

This might help

1 doc is picture of the harness that goes through the side of the case (

The warning on damaging the harness is in the manual and is not dig)

2doc shows the harness connected to the valve body

3 doc shows the harness that goes from the case up towards the engine (T2)

SEA#3

This might help

1 doc is picture of the harness that goes through the side of the case (

The warning on damaging the harness is in the manual and is not dig)

2doc shows the harness connected to the valve body

3 doc shows the harness that goes from the case up towards the engine (T2)

SEA#3

Thanks SEA#3. Just to clarify, doc2 is showing where the wiring harness from INSIDE the valve body is connecting to the wiring harness WITHIN the transmission, but outside of the valve body?

I hadn't heard from them for over 2 weeks, so I called on January 9 to find out what was going on. I was told they were looking for a TCU to replace mine because it was shorted out. The owner of AAMCO said that I had shorted out the TCU when I spliced the wiring connecting the solenoids within the valve body. HUH!!? I have never had the transmission out of my car, let alone hacking away at the wires within it. The owner had recalled that I stated, when I dropped the car off, that I mentioned I had to cut some wires on the transmission. What I was talking about at that time was that I had pulled 2 transmissions in the past and the engine to transmission wiring harness was very tough to disconnect and I had to cut the wires on one of them to get it apart. I was simply warning them that my wiring harness may be difficult to disconnect as well.

It seems very likely to me at this time that this was an attempt to pin the blame on me for the TCU "not working" and still flashing the codes, thus being able to charge me for more work done to find out this wiring problem. What he seems to have missed is that I picked up the solenoids several weeks ago, including the wiring connected to them, and there is no cut or splice on them!

Would you like to borrow my baseball bat to "fix" the AAMCO owner? I have a nice dented aluminum one...

I would not buy a TCU.

Did they give you a quote for the origional job? Don't authorize any other work.

Thanks SEA#3. Just to clarify, doc2 is showing where the wiring harness from INSIDE the valve body is connecting to the wiring harness WITHIN the transmission, but outside of the valve body?

doc2 show the valve body installed on the transmission and the location of the connectors for the harness to the appropriate solenoids and sensors

SEA#3