Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i'm gonna change the gear oil on my buddies legacy it's a awd 5spd gen 1, how much oil do i need what is the best weight to use, brand wise i'm using redline

Sounds to me like he's talking about the 5 speed gear box, not the diff in an auto tranny. I know with the newer cars if you are going to use synthic about the only thing that works that's availble in the US is Redline 75w90NS, its got to be the NS because this is a GL4 oil. Redline, and mobile's normal 75w90 is a GL5 which doesn't get along with the syncros and leads to a lot of grinding. Mine takes just over 4 qt. I know this is true of the newer 5 speeds as I have learned from experience w/ mine and there are a ton of threds over on nasioc.com. I don't think much has changed since the gen 1 Legacy's but you may want to double check.

The full capacity should be 3.5 liters, but I find that 3.3 is enough to bring the level to max during a normal drain/refill. Not all the old oil will drain out.

24mm external hex plug.

The rear diff full capacity is 0.8 liters.

1/2 inch square drive internal plugs.

75W-90 in both. Don't go thicker in the gearbox, unless your buddy likes crunching synchros. A 75W-80 is recommend by "Motul".