Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber carb. conversion questions!

[HTi]Dain

I put a brand new Weber carburator on my '82 Brat GL 1.8L. I'm not really sure how to hook up the electronic choke. I suppose I have to do some cutting and splicing? Also, what do I do with the throttle cable, the one I have seems to be too short? Last thing, what all gets capped?! Pictures would be helpful, but any knowledge or advice will be greatly appreciated.

the throttle cable is long enough,unbolt the cable from the firewall.PCV-run the lines to your airbox.My electric choke never worked even on the hitachi.

Well, the cable is still too short after disconnecting it from the firewall (via a clip). I didn't mention that I had done the Carter carb. to Hi-crappy carb. conversion, which came from an '83 wag. (HAH, and now that to a Weber!). which included a new throttle cable, and peddle(from an '84 Brat) . Can't recall if the peddle was taller, or shorter; but that is the only available cable.

Dain']Well' date=' the cable is still too short after disconnecting it from the firewall (via a clip). I didn't mention that I had done the Carter carb. to Hi-crappy carb. conversion, which came from an '83 wag. (HAH, and now that to a Weber!). which included a new throttle cable, and peddle(from an '84 Brat) . Can't recall if the peddle was taller, or shorter; but that is the only available cable.[/quote']

I ended up modifiing a cable bracket to work.

would ya get carby freeze up if ya got no hot air pipe to airfilter?

Carby freeze, mate??? Don't quite follow. But the thermal air cleaner set-up is overrated; I havn't ran with that for quite some time, everything warms up just fine for me. The Weber doesn't even have a thermal set-up.

would ya get carby freeze up if ya got no hot air pipe to airfilter?

Yes - several Alaskan members have commented on that. The Weber (without any hot air riser system), can ice up. Usually the throttle plates will stick open when the engine is reving hard. Snowman (who wrote the EA82 SPFI conversion manual) swapped out to SPFI partly because of this very problem.

Here in the NW, it's not a problem. Temps rarely get below 20 here. So it's good to at least that low in my exprience, and none of mine have had trouble even up at the mountain where it's often closer to 10-15 degrees.

GD

well i just put a weber on and in the wire set up (ie oil sending unit, temp etc) there is a plug with 3 wires one of witch was solid blue ( mind you this was on a ea82) i ran a line from the plug to the choke tab and that was it. if you still have the old hicrapy check to see if a wire runs from the auto choke and check the color and check the plugs that it used before you used it. in theory you should be able to track down the choke wire. good luck