Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cant find vacuum advance part

Call these guys - they can rebuild your vac can for about $25 (new diaphram rubber). In the meantime, you can just run without it. Or you can send them your whole disty, and they can rebuild the bushings and such. Last one I did was about $55 total - all polished up, and they will paint the vac can with high temp enamel.

http://www.philbingroup.com/

They are local for me, but they service all the shops around here. Good guys to work with too, and the most knowledgable people I've ever met on distributors.

GD

I got a used disty at a junkyard yesterday for 25 bucks that seems to work fine. My old one had a bad vacuum advance and bad bushings. I switched from Nippondenso to Hitachi and so far so good. Definitely don't do what I did and forget to mark where the rotor is when you pull the old one out. :D

how can you tell if the advance is bad?

Take the disty cap off, take a spare vacuum hose, put one end on the vacuum advance port and the other end in your mouth. Suck. You should see the insides of the distributor rotate clockwise about a half inch or so and stay there until you stop sucking. Mine was bad because they would move, but then move back while I was still sucking meaning I had a small leak in there somewhere.

Well this is lame, ive had alot more trouble finding parts than i expected,

im trying to solve a slight hesitation between idle and accelleration, checked foor vac leaks accel pump seems ok, dont squirt much fuel but then this engine shouldnt need much, the only fault i had found right off was the vac advance is shot, altho im not su sure that would cause my hesitation, its more likely internal to the carb power valve etc... but im still gunna need a vac advance and these guys that rebuild these distributors get them from somewhere

thanks