Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Etrailer hitch and tiny trailer

so I bought a hitch for my 99 Forester from etrailer. It was a bit of a struggle to get the hitch on as usual. It's hard to hold everything above you and get the bolts in. A neighbor and a jack were a big help. I did not have to redrill anything and the powder coat finish looks good.

Now I'm going to build one of those tiny trailers from Harbor Freight. I have the box of bolts and fittings on the floor here now, and even though I have not yet found directions it looks pretty self explanatory.

A little thousand pound capacity trailer for $245 including tax may make the Forester into a mini pickup truck for me.

Last week I hauled several sheets of sheet rock and 22 2x4s and it was a pain. I thought I was really abusing my car until I saw the guy loading cement into his minivan. The sparks from his rear bumper were amusing.

I'll let you guys know how the little trailer turns out. In a couple of weeks I expect it to pay for itself as I plan to pick up a 750 pound sidecar rig from the freight docks in Oakland. That will pay for it right there in the delivery charge.

The last time I built a trailer it was a prototype moblie sales trailer for tose huge early sattleite disks. I went to a junkyard and got a Toranado rear end and welded up a lot of steel channel. I had levelers on each corner and I think the floor was plywood. This has got to be easier.

I put the trailer together after work except for lights. It took about an hour and a half, but I did cheat and use an air ratchet. I loaned out my Subie so I can't test the lights for a couple of days until the Forester is back. I like to test before I solder.

Hey Cookie,

which size tires did you get?

I bought the trailer that folds in half from harbor freight about 3 years ago.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42709

I got the 8" wheel version because I trailer locally and didn't expect any long trips.

I've use it about 20 or so times but only a couple at capacity. Worked very well on the back of my 01 Outback Ltd. and figure it's paid for itself and the hitch.

Let us know how it does, because i planned on getting one of those trailers also, for my lifted wagon though. I planned on useing it so i could haul my four wheeler( which isn't that heavy for a quad, its a sportbike-378 pounds) If it works good, that would be great, the reason i wanted it is because it looks like a lightweight trailer, so not to hard on my car to tow it, and more importantly to stop.

:rolleyes:

I belive it has the 8 inch wheels. I think that should be plenty to haul my sidecar outfit and go to Home Depot.

If I was going to do some highway or off road work I would prefer larger wheels. Sure is easy to roll around by yourself compared to other trailers I've had.

Good tip on the larger wheel bolt pattern fitment. I'll save that because you never know what you may want to do later.

Are those loops from a boat shop? I may go that way too. After a mind numbing trip to DMV my trailer is completly registered and my bike half way.

When the verification officer asked me for weight I said under 150 pounds and picked up the trailer to demonstrate. At least she laughed.

The car does not even seem to notice the trailer other than the rattles on bumps.

They came with rubber blocks to lock them into

the stake pockets on p/u truck beds

seen here

http://www.accessconnect.com/prodpage13.htm

I like the light weight aspect, with the front wheel castor

shown in my post it is great for moving things by hand

around the shed ect.

I also have a tailer moving dolly.

I'm a one man band so lite is good.